There has been nothing spectacular about today. I mean, it's the 4th of July. It's a holiday. One of my favorites, even. But this morning hasn't been especially celebratory. Matt's playing at church all morning, so it's just Ben and me. I was going to make it a special morning--I was going to take Ben to our favorite little beach spot, have a breakfast burrito, and play in the sand and water before the crowds pour in. Alas, alack, Matt took the car with the quarters. No beach. So we went to the store. We bought groceries. We're just hanging out in our comfy clothes, playing with cars and reading. But that's just the thing...it's been special. Celebratory. I'm not one of those people that counts laundry and dishes a joy and pleasure because I just love serving my family. I hate doing the dishes. But sometimes those mundane, even bothersome, chores make me happy and grateful. I'm putting away clothes that I washed, which makes me feel blessed to have a washing machine, have a little boy, and have clothes to put him in. The dishes--well, I have yet to find simple pleasure and joy in those. But the laundry--the laundry made this morning special. When we went to Henry's Ben was grinning ear to ear asking for cheese (the deli guy nearly always gives Ben a slice of cheese to munch on while we shop). Today we weren't going to the deli, so I told him he couldn't have his cheese. So he gleefully cried "treat!" Hell, why not. It's a holiday. So I got us both muffins. (hey, in our house this is a treat--we rarely do bakery items, and we rarely buy food that's not necessary). While we waited in line I chatted with a friend who also happened to be there. Ben patiently waited for his treat. When we got home I set down the grocery bags. Ben immediately went for the bakery bag, pulled it out, grabbed his muffin, climbed on the couch, and buried his face in his treat. I could have cried. He asked for water, I gave him juice (go big or go home--if today's going to be treat day, and if he's going to flash those gorgeous blue eyes and winning smile, he can have whatever he wants).
Simple pleasures...
Ben curling up in his chair and reading "poop" (Little Toot)
putting his toys in his trucks and narrating a story
listing all of the people (and characters) that poop while I change his diaper
saying "whaaaaaat?"
shouting "I got you!" and tickling me
playing hide and seek in the closet
smiling and laughing and being wonderful
I love my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment