Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Busy Weekend

We had a very busy weekend. On Saturday morning we went to the second birthday party of Ben's little friend Ethan. It was a pool party. On a very cloudy day. To be fair, they reasonably assumed it would be sunny and hot in the middle of July. Sadly they were wrong. But Ben and the other kids didn't seem to notice they were missing out on anything, despite the fact that their teeth were chattering and their lips were blue. My goodness does my son love himself some swimming. And cake.


On Saturday evening I went to a baby shower for a friend. I knit her little boy a blanket. This freaked me out--it was only the second blanket I'd ever attempted, and it generally takes me more than two tries at a new project before I'm any good. She loved it. I hope she doesn't look too closely at it--it's kind of like a Monet. In dim lighting and from a few feet away, it looks just fine. (Note: I don't have any pictures of this event because I'm socially retarded and extra awkward in large group settings. I did actually know several people, which was a pleasant surprise. And I was surprisingly social. That may have been the three glasses of wine, though...)

On Sunday morning we shook our fists at the stubborn clouds in the sky and said, "Suck it! We're going to the beach anyway!" Our neighbors wanted in on the fun, so we all went together to the beach at 18th street in Newport. It's not my favorite beach for a few reasons: a) it's on the harbor. you know how I feel about harbor water. b) that might be it. BUT it's very kid friendly because there are no waves and it's never crowded. So it's perfect for a certain toddler who loves to swim and whose mother hates swimming in the ocean. Another perk is that since it's Newport it's metered parking, which is the cheapest in the county. And apparently the meters are never monitored, so we pretty much went for free. This kind of makes me feel guilty, but not really because the city of Newport clearly has plenty of money. Plus they wanted to charge us to park in their city parking lot at Corona del Mar State Beach. So I guess not putting quarters in the meter was my rule-follower way of sticking it to the man.

The kids had a great time. They were freezing, because the water was freezing, because it was July Gloom. But they didn't care.


Sunday evening I had book club. I love my book club. I don't have pictures of that, either, because I was having too much fun being social. Or maybe that was the two Snake Bites...

The end.

No comments: