Monday, July 19, 2010

Angel in Devil Shoes

Weighing in at 29 pounds (60th percentile) 35 1/2 inches (75th percentile) with a 19 inch head (37th percentile), Benjamin Aidan Miller is 2 years old. He's a much more picky eater than before. He used to eat anything I put in front of him. But at last we have reached the mac and cheese stage. I thought we were going to have the enlightened child--the one who eats broccoli and quinoa with alacrity and satisfaction. No. We do not have that child. We have a child who will eat macaroni and cheese and bananas. Okay, there are a few more things. He loves carrots and oatmeal. And cheese. I'm pretty sure he dreams of cheese. At any rate, his palate has become a lot more, um, toddler-esque. He does really really love to dip his food, though. Syrup, salsa, soy sauce, ketchup--you name it. He can also devour a PB&J like no one I have ever seen.

Now that we have crossed over to the dark side of those Terrible Twos, things have changed. It may sound impossible that he became terrible overnight. And he really didn't. He learned how to throw world class tantrums a couple of months ago, and last week he got his first two minute time out for biting me when I wouldn't let him take every toy he owns to Target. He long ago started asking Daddy when Mommy said no (and vice verse). Seriously, this kid has absolutely shocked me with a few choice behaviors over the last couple of months. They were infrequent, and on the whole he was still his sweet, albeit energetic, self. But a switch really did seem to be flipped on his birthday. It probably hasn't helped that it's been 95 degrees all week and he hasn't had a decent nap or night's sleep since. But man was he an unpleasant birthday boy. He woke up at 6:00, obviously. He was grouchy and crabby for the early morning. We gave him his presents, which definitely cheered him up. I'll save the details for later on his birthday festivities, but he did perk up with the new toys (he tossed the Lightening McQueen swim suit aside. so it's true, then; it doesn't matter that one's favorite character is on the clothing, clothes are still the lamest present. noted.). He pitched a wild fit when I left with my mom to set up the party at the park, and apparently pitched a fit when he had to leave the toys behind to go to his birthday party. Once he got to the park he was grumpy and clingy and wouldn't leave my arms for long periods of time. Once a lot of his little friends got there he did lighten up a bit and play for a while. But when he took of his shoes and subsequently burned his feet on the sand, he was right back in my arms, placated only by painting trains. Unpleasant, I tell you. When we left he was losing his mind and screaming because he had to stop playing with his new toys, and because we were carrying the leftover cupcakes which he felt entitled to eat right then and there. When we got home he kicked and screamed because he would rather play with his new toys than take a nap (clearly he didn't need the sleep). This went on and on all day, and has continued since. Yesterday Adalee came over to play and he lost his mind when she reached for a toy. Possessive, much? Maybe it's the novelty of the new toys. But the battle has been waged over other things. Eating, wearing clothes, turning the TV off, putting the toys away, leaving the house, leaving the beach, leaving the mall...Please tell me when the demon that has possessed my sweet child can be exorcised. Please tell me that some day my real son will come back. I miss him.

Now, to be fair, this rage has not filled our days entirely. This stage seems to be the age of extremes. When he's good he's incredible, and when he's bad...well, let's just say that I may or may not have offered him to Brandi for keeps.

But the good is great. His passion thankfully extends beyond his demands. He smiles more brightly, hugs more tightly, and laughs with more joy. He's funny and clever. The rule is when we leave the house he can only bring along two toys. He has not liked that rule. So yesterday I told him we were going to go to the store, and he didn't put up a fight. I (erroneously) thought maybe the "I never want to leave the toys not ever" phase had taken a break. I turned to Matt and we were looking at something on the computer. When I turned back around he was loading my purse, one by one, with all of his cars. All of them. He had gone over, gotten my purse, opened it up, and methodically started filling it with his earthly possessions.

He's way too clever; he's already easily coming up with ways to get around the rules. This will cause trouble. But it's kinda funny.

He is still all boy. His favorite activities are playing with his cars and trucks (yep--still says the F word), swimming, dancing, playing with play-doh, painting, horsing around with his daddy, and rolling in the dirt. He loves the park and the beach. He is, thankfully, still very cuddly. He takes breaks from playing to run and give me hugs and kisses, and he loves to cuddle and read. His favorite movies are Cars, Toy Story, and Toy Story 2, and his favorite TV shows are Thomas, Sesame Street, and Mickey Mouse. He is very good at building things with his duplo legos, and he's hysterical at playing pretend with his other toys. One day he put Buzz in his dump truck, then cried "Help! Buzz stuck! Woody! Help!" Woody then saved Buzz from the dump truck, but then got stuck inside himself. Of course he cried "Help! Buzz! Woody stuck! Help!" He knows most of his colors, body parts, animals, and modes of transport, and he knows when there are two of something. And he recognizes a few letters and numbers and can count to three. He likes looking at pictures and videos of himself and people he knows. His best friend in the whole world is Adalee.


I think that about sums him up. Of course, I could never really sum him up. There are a thousand little things that I could never describe. But I love him to pieces, and I can't wait to see what the next year brings!

No comments: