Monday, July 26, 2010

One Compromise at a Time

I judge the city of Irvine, fairly harshly. I mock its attempted perfection, its complete isolation from reality, its silly rules about what colors your house can be and where you can and can't park your car on your own property...things like that. The whole idea of a master-planned community where everyone needs to look and act the same and crime simply isn't allowed to exist is laughable.

But damnit, those perks are cool.

Parks, pools, lagoons...they're nice. We have a friend who lives there, and so we rode on her coattails to the lagoon. It was pretty much the perfect place for Ben. A large, sandy area with what is essentially a wading pool. There are no waves, there is no deep end, there are life guards and small toddler-friendly waterslides. It's Ben's version of Heaven. He and his pal Selah could not have been happier. We walked, grabbed some coffee, meandered around the fake lake, and watched our kids play in the age-appropriate water.  Then we walked home.


Sigh. Irvine, is this your plan? To slowly lure me in with your perks? I will not cave, I will not cave, I will not...is that an adult-only pool!??!

No comments: