This week our adventure was to Thornton Park, a rather large and pretty cool park in Santa Ana. We tried going a few weeks ago, but the parking lot was completely full because of a baseball game, and there was no street parking. So we went to a different park that day. We were unaware of the other parking lot that I discovered this week. This other parking lot is also conveniently located adjacent to the main playground. Fancy that.
We didn't stay for long, mostly because I wasn't really in the mood for walking, exploring, and watching Ben play for a few hours. I've been kind of grumpy lately. But what I did see I liked. It was quiet and open. The playground is "barrier free", which means it's wheelchair accessible. There are a few play structures, two of which are shaped like castles and two more shaped like pirate ships. Ben loved them because there were lots of bridges and tunnels. He was actually having a great time--I was tired and grumpy. I think we'll have to go back when I'm feeling more up to the adventure.
Price: Free!
The Journey: Piece of cake. But you should know that the main parking lot for the main structure is not, as you would suspect, on the main street. It's aaaaaaall the way around the back off a little tiny street.
The Highlights: Well, for Ben, all the tunnels and bridges. And though he was too young to notice or care, I thought the castle and ship things were cool. And it's great that it's barrier free. There is also a nice combo of all-weather ground and sand. Other bonuses include sports facilities, picnic facilities, and a lake. I like parks with lakes.
The Downsides: There's some (but not much, and nothing offensive as far as I could tell) graffiti on the play equipment. Otherwise, it was pretty darn cool. Oh, and my bad mood. That was a downside. But I guess you don't have to bring that with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment