You may have noticed that the new name of this little bloggy blog is The Adventure. That's what I want my life to be--an adventure. I've spent a good chunk of time just going through the motions--get up, get myself and the kid ready, go to work, come home, make dinner, eat dinner, clean, play low-key, put the kid to bed, collapse onto the couch to watch TV or read. Lather, rinse, repeat. On weekends we just get stuck in a rut too--if we don't have something we're supposed to be at, Saturday and Sunday just look like an extended version of weekday evenings. Cooking, cleaning, mild fun--usually at home or around the mall or Target or whatever. So this summer I'm trying to get myself (and my family) into a new rhythm. God made a big world, and while we are "homely" according to American standards, we are wealthy according to word-wide standards. So I want to soak that in. I want to "suck the marrow" out of life, if you will. Get off the couch and live, despite how tired I might be from work, parenting, cleaning, cooking, etc. When my friend passed away I had a jarring realization of how short and precious this life is, how sweet and potentially quick my time on earth with my family is. So we sally forth and adventure.
But that's not this post--this post is about food. Yes--food. My adventures are extending into the kitchen. I have a decent one now, and I want to play in it. So the rule is something new each day of July. Maybe a main course, maybe a side. Maybe a dessert. But we'll never eat the same meal twice this month. So far I have made several savory dishes, and tonight I'm trying out a potato bake thing. I've got several recipe books, but kind of like my knitting, I see recipes (and patterns) as suggestions. I'm actually a pretty picky eater (this is a bit of an attempt to break that), and I've got a couple of food allergies. So I modify the recipes to my taste and needs.
Bon Appetit!
No comments:
Post a Comment