Then we put a million quarters in the meter and spent two and a half heavenly hours on the sand and sea. That's a lot for us--generally our beach trips are an hour, maybe two at the most. But almost three hours--I didn't think I'd last that long, much less be sad to go. But I was. It was perfect. One of those mornings you want to put in your pocket and keep forever. The kind that Wordsworth was talking about...
For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.
Ben wandered, I took pictures. I know I'm too married to my camera and all, but I really love photographing him when he does it. When he's just in his own little world, his imagination running rampant, not a care in the universe, oblivious to me and everyone else. Those are sweet and precious childhood moments that become more few as one gets older.
But the morning was not just for pictures. After a while we put on his suit and played in the water. It's becoming more natural for me--even something I look forward to. Taking my little boy's hand and venturing out into the currents. I love laughing and splashing with him. I love letting go of my inhibitions, my self-consciousness, and my fear, and just being in the moment with my quickly growing little boy.
After splashing around, Ben went on a hunt for rocks. It was serious business. Then he brought them back, sorted them, moved them from bucket to bucket.
I could have wept I was so joyful, so peaceful.
We had to go, of course, eventually. But it was one of those mornings that I save. And when I have my blissful solitude, then it comes flooding back...
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
and dances with the daffodils.
1 comment:
Oh, Sweetheart ! I have such moments of and with YOU! So very often, you & I would have something so special, I could only feel it, not describe it or write about it until I'd felt it in my heart for whatever time it took. One special time was the one of the first times we went to SeaWorld. Eddi Lamana and her two granddaughters, you & I. We were getting ready for bed, you said, "Nana, my Mommy told me that sometimes Nanas and Granddaughters have a very special relationship. I think we have that, don't you?" And I said, "Yes, Punkin' we do have that." Even now, I can see it in my mind, and feel it in my heart. It never, ever leaves, and I'm so grateful. Great piece of writing, Baby. i lv u
Post a Comment