Thursday, December 15, 2011
Tradition
We've been trying to maintain traditions in the midst of the chaos. For the most part, it's not working out. But we keep trying. Last weekend we tried to have our family decorating time, but all Ben wanted to do was lie on the couch and suck his thumb. He dragged himself off for a little bit and helped some, but for the most part it was an exercise in futility. Either way, we eventually ended up with a decorated tree. A fake pre-lit tree. But you don't get to judge me about that. We're living a pick-your-battles kind of life over here. We tried to all go as a family to pick out a tree together, but we eventually had to give up because we couldn't get Ben out of the house. But we have a tree, and that's what counts.
I like our tree. All fake and prelit. Because I don't care about that part. I care about what's on it. I like to look at those fancy pants trees that have a motif and color scheme and are all covered in glass balls and evenly spaced matching ornaments. They're pretty. But that's not my style. It's not what I grew up with. I grew up with a tree that had personality. And that's how we roll at our house. Every ornament has a story...it has meaning. There's the bead candy cane I made in third grade. A Christmas troll (remember when troll dolls were cool?). The annual ornament from our church. First Christmases. Crafts from daycare and preschool. Gifts from students. Our tree is a scapbook. So I like decorating it, because it's like a trip down memory lane. And every time I look over at it, I remember what a lovely life I have. (Somehow we've never managed to get a star for the top. Oops.)
So maybe it's fake, and maybe Ben's skipping participation this year. Each year we add a new ornament or two. The last couple of years we've let Ben pick one out. This year he's refused. And maybe that's okay. Maybe the lack of 2011 ornaments will serve as a marker in future years. Remember the year that things fell apart? I can't track down a 1st Christmas ornament for Emma. I hope I can figure that out. And we bought new stockings. Cool and fancy ones from Pottery Barn (that were on sale, and with a coupon, because that's the only way Pottery Barn ends up in this house). And we have the pretty nativity that we got as a wedding gift. That's pretty much all that's up. The village will stay packed. And that's okay.
Maybe this year our new ornament will be a topper. Or whatever. But I like it to be meaningful. Because I'm sappy like that.
3 comments:
Yep, tradition . . and it's awesome! Some things, ya know . . . Happy, beautiful, blessed, Christmas! I LOVE you for wanting what you grew up with! I was blessed by loving you then, and I and Husband Dudley are blessed by same now. That's pretty cool and grand, I think! Prayers for healing the Matthew Miller family ongoing . . .
Idea: Emma can be the tree topper. Okay, so you don't like that idea. Cut out a cardboard star and wrap it in aluminum foil and use glue and glitter. I love your sentimental treasured ornaments. Over the years I have accumulated SO MANY...too many to put on one tree, for sure! I don't have enough room for a 2nd (or 3rd) tree, like your Nana use to have, so I have to select what will fit without ridiculously overloading the tree. I am very very sorry that Ben has been so horribly sick! He has been on our church's prayer list for 2 prayer meetings, so surely God will hear our plea soon!
I love you, sweet Shannon, and will remember you in my prayers too!
xoxoxox....Auntie Sue
Post a Comment