Monday, December 5, 2011

Mama Guilt

There are few things that I've ever felt truly guilty about as a mother. Sure, I make stupid decisions sometimes, and I mess up. Fodder for therapy. And I do feel a decent amount of guilt for working. But at the end of the day, I know with that one I'm making the best decision for my family, even if it means some sacrifice. But this weekend...well, I think this is the first time I've really felt tremendously guilty--like I really made the wrong decision, and that this time it's bad enough for me to not just chalk up to typical parenting folly. I'm not really sure why this time it feels so different. Within a couple of weeks everything will be right as rain, and my kids will probably never remember it (Emma certainly won't). I think what's making the difference this time is that the decisions I made make a statement about me as a parent, and I don't like that statement. Or we can chalk the whole thing up to stress and exhaustion and sleep deprivation and call it a day. Either way, I feel really uncomfortable.

I just wrote out the whole story of the last few days, then thought better of it. The how and why doesn't matter. What matters is that in an effort to prove a point and try to be all things to all people, I failed my kids, particularly Ben. I drove him into the ground. Not intentionally--but in the midst of everything I failed to pay attention to how poorly he was doing. My most important job on this planet is to protect and care for my kids, and I failed to do that. He should have been my first priority, and he wasn't. And it's killing me. I hate myself for it, and I don't know how to make it right.

Motherhood is hard.

2 comments:

"Grammy" Sue B said...

I * LOVE * YOU !!!!! And so does Ben, and Emma, and Matt, and God. Consider it a lesson learned and move forward, dear one.
Now...enjoy some "pudge" as you watch a Christmas movie with your little man!
xoxoxox....Auntie Sue

Israel Food Outreach said...

Oh, Shannon Honey . . so many of we Mothers succeeded and failed ikn our own eyes since the dawning of time. Here's the truth . . I feel and have said my Daughter is a better Mother than I ever was; that's your Mother by the way. Your Mother feels you are such a better Mother than she ever was. I KNOW the truth and that's it! All of us go up, and come down, but the truth? You're doing a terrific job as a Mommy! Believe it!