How bad is it that for Mother's Day I want to clock out for a bit?
I love being a mom. I love my son. I love being a wife, and I love my husband. But sometimes I find myself dreaming longingly about days where I can lay in my pj's all day, read, and watch whatever I want on TV (read: not Mythbusters). I want to eat pop tarts for breakfast, cream of wheat for lunch, and cereal for dinner. I want to go shopping and take my sweet time meandering through the stores, and maybe even try something on (I know--I dream big). I want to go to Barnes and Noble (still in my sweats) and curl up in one of the cozy chairs (because it's my perfect lazy day so one's open) with a banana chocolate smoothie and read for however long I want. And I want to do all of this without the nagging thought in the back of my mind that I'm being selfish and neglecting my family. And because I love my boys just too darn much to spend a full 24 hours away from them, I want them to take me out to dinner to a place I don't have to choose. I make way too many decisions for way too many people (myself rarely being one of them) every day--I'd like someone else to be responsible for a day. Other big dreams I have as a mom: a shower (the good kind--not just the get-clean-quick-during-Sesame-Street kind), shaved legs, a leisurely meal in which I get to eat all my own food at my own pace without getting spaghetti sauce smeared all over my white sweater because somebody wants to snuggle while he eats, a clean house, a chance to go out with my girlfriends without re-negotiating the weekly division of labor, and time to get some exercise and fresh air without sacrificing time with my family or desperately needed sleep. I also secretly dream that some day Ben won't be sick for four months straight so I don't have to use all my sick days (and then some) by February. That way I can *cough cough* call in sick, still take Ben to daycare (or better yet, have someone else take him because I'm sick), and have a clandestine date with my bed and a good book.
I also want a unicorn to bring me a million dollars.
In the meantime I will settle for an hour of free-time, and maybe some of that red licorice taffy from Trader Joe's. That stuff is good.
2 comments:
THAT is a very good wish list!!!
If you ever see that Unicorn? Send him my way . . k?
Post a Comment