It’s cold and drizzly outside. Not raining—just that kind of air that leaves a million tiny whispers of wetness on your exposed skin. It’s not cold enough for a snow jacket, but it’s crisp and cool. It’s mid-May, so within a couple of weeks the marine layer will lift and the sticky heat of Orange County summer will settle in. I didn’t get much sleep this weekend, so I’m feeling a little drowsy. I’m sitting in my classroom with a warm cup of coffee. It was 60 degrees when I came in, and I’m wearing a short-sleeved shirt and a skirt, so I turned the heater on for a few minutes to warm up a little. So I’m cozy, a little sleepy, and not at all ready for the school day to begin. In just a few minutes 32 hormonal adolescents will flood noisily in, so for the moment I’m going to play pretend. I’m going to pretend that I’m home with this warm cup of coffee, nestled in with a blanket, my comfy clothes, my loving husband, and my sweet little boy. We’re cozied up on the couch watching Cars, and we’ve nothing to do, nowhere to be, just enjoying each other’s company. Just enjoying the gray morning, the last bit of warm snuggles before we don tank tops and shorts and sweat the months away.
And there’s the bell. Back to reality. But sweet gray morning—we will meet again.
No comments:
Post a Comment