Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Towheaded Monster

I don't know if it's the terrible almost-twos rearing their ugly head, or the fact that my son is OVER going to a babysitter's every day. But man alive has he been kicking my butt lately. All year he's been pretty good at drop-off in the morning. He has his days, sure, but most of the time he climbs into his booster seat and starts chowing down on breakfast. But for the last week or two Molly has had to pry him off me. The same thing happened this morning when I left him with my mom. At Disneyland on Sunday all he wanted was for me to walk around holding him all morning. All. Morning. All 27.2 pounds of him. Then after his nap we went outside to play with his buddy Adalee. Adalee gave him a hug, accidentally knocking him over. So Ben picked himself up off the ground and full-on shoves her. ?!?!?!?! Yesterday Adalee came over for five minutes while Brandi switched the laundry. Ben flipped out when Adalee tried to touch his toys. Any of them. I mean flipped the frick out. Screaming, throwing, grabbing, pushing. I've never seen him like this. Time outs be damned. The freak-out continued long after she'd left. Today when she came over he actually did great. They played together, shared--straight out of Leave it to Beaver for toddlers. Then came bed time. Since the demon colic was exercised at about three months, Ben has been the bed time champ. 98.6% of the time he goes down happily and beautifully. Until tonight. We spent 90 minutes trying to get him to bed. 90 freaking minutes of sobbing, screaming, shouting, throwing...it was like colic all over again, only with an extra 20 pounds and words thrown in here and there.

I desperately wish I had at least one more sick day left so I could maybe stay home tomorrow and spend some time with my demon-possessed little boy. If only I could somehow communicate to him that in just a few short weeks I'm all his...but alas, alack, I used all my sick days, personal days, and what have you nursing him back to health all year long.

Boo. I need this to end like yesterday.

No comments: