Monday, March 2, 2009

Infant Containment

So I'm all domestic and crap lately. I took the day off because my mom couldn't watch Ben, and I was looking for an excuse to hang with him and get some things done. Part of my domesticity involves creating extraordinary culinary delights; on today's menu was Beef and Wild Mushroom Stew. So during Ben's nap I put everything together and realized that we didn't have potatoes. When Ben woke up, I decided to make a quick run to the store for potatoes. I know, "quick run to the store" and "seven month old" don't generally go together. But I really wanted to be the perfect Donna Reed today, so I thought I'd give it a go. So I loaded Ben up into the car and headed to the store.

When I got to the store I had to make the Big Decision. Use the stroller? It seemed like quite the hassle to haul it out of the trunk, unfold it, and strap him in...all for two potatoes. Get a cart? How lame would I look carting around two lousy potatoes? Carry Ben? He's getting pretty heavy and squirrely, but it seemed better than the alternatives.

Wrong.

As I walked in there was a big sign that said "10lb bag of potatoes $1.97." Who could pass that up? Shannon the Super Saver decided to save some money. So that put me standing in the so-called "express" lane with a 10lb sack of potatoes and a 17 1/2 lb monkey. Of course the two people in front of me were very un-express. Lady #1 apparently won a gas card and was mystified. Lady #2 realized after paying with her card that she forgot to get cash back. In the mean time the monkey decides now is the best time to practice his lunges; and when I say lunges, I don't mean "let's warm up for soccer" lunges, I mean "Oooh, that magazine looks fun and I want it...maybe if I throw my body towards it I'll get it" lunges. When I finally make my purchase, Mr. Funny the checker asks "Did you want a cart or any help out?"

No thanks, buddy. I've made it this far.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I can relate!

a.love said...

Why does civilization not seem to GET it?! Granted, I didn't GET it myself before but I mean, does everyone else have to be that slow too??!!