Thursday, March 5, 2009

Baby Food

So I've had a couple of people ask me about how I prepare and store baby food. I do not, by any stretch of the imagination, consider myself a knowledgeable person in this area. But I'm happy to share my methods (as well as get tips from others!).

For vegetables, I spent a Saturday whipping up a stockpile. I bought frozen peas, carrots, and green beans. I know fresh is better...but for peas and green beans, I just didn't have the time to do the whole shelling thing, and grating a large pile of carrots didn't sound appealing. So...here are my steps:

1. Buy frozen veggies (check the ingredients and buy the kind without salt)
2. Dump the bag in a big pyrex bowl and water (almost to the top of the veggies)
3. Put a plate (or a lid if available) over the bowl and microwave for about 10 minutes
4. Stir, then heat for another 10 minutes (or until veggies are very soft)
5. Put veggies and water in food processor
6. Blend until pretty smooth

Storage:

I've tried a couple of different things. The first time I measured two Tbsp. into old Gerber prepared food containers. Then when the food was frozen, I popped it out and put it in a freezer bag. Lately I've been trying ice cube trays. The food is a little hard to get out, so I run some hot water over it really quick and it comes out nicely. Again, stored in labeled freezer bags.

I don't always use frozen veggies. I often take a carrot or a potato or other fresh veggie, prepare it, and mash it up. I've found this site to be very helpful in tips for making tricky veggies like sweet potatoes and squash:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/homemade-baby-food-recipes-intro.htm

For fruits, I try to make them fresh. My steps:

1. Take a piece or two of fruit and peel, core, and cut it (depending, of course, on the fruit)
2. I boil it for 5-7 minutes (again, depending on the fruit)
3. I grind it using a handy Munchkin baby food grinder ($10 at Target...thanks mom!)

For bananas, I just peel them and throw them in the grinder (I've tried just mashing them with a fork...apparently I suck at that)


So that is my completely amateur and not at all expert tips on baby food preparation. As a working mom, I don't have a ton of time, so I'm probably taking some short cuts where I could be doing more. But it works pretty well, and, after a few trial and error sessions (Ben seems to be as finicky about texture as me), my kiddo seems to dig it.

I am still, however, searching for the way to do meat! I'm still buying the jarred stuff until I can find a way to do that. Any suggestions???

2 comments:

a.love said...

I have that grinder...so that's what it's for? Hm. You're a better mom than me ;)

Erin said...

I do just about the same thing, except I am paranoid about microwaves, so I bake, boil, or steam the veggies and put them in warn water to reheat. Crazy, I know. I freeze in ice cube trays and store in freezer bags too - veggies maybe every other week and fruits every week. We are not ready for meat yet, so I can't help you there. :)