1. We are in the very sucky process of finding a new place to live. I loathe my current home more and more each day. First off, I hate living in an apartment complex. I feel like I'm still in college and not 30 (ish). I don't like that feeling. I also hate that my car is a five minute walk from my apartment. Or that I live upstairs (something I preferred before having a child...and a stroller, a diaper bag, etc.). I also am not particularly fond of "The Family." To be fair, it's a group of families clustered in our building. But we call them "The Family." The smaller children ride their bikes and play baseball on the walkways (and have been known to run into people and dent parked cars), and the teenagers hang out on the grassy area right below us at 11:00 at night and play tag. They're also really rude. I don't want our lives to intermingle anymore.I want a house. I want a driveway and a garage. I want to not pay for laundry, and I want to do it while wearing comfortable clothing that is not suitable for public (like ratty sweatpants and a tank top). I also don't want to have it stolen. And I want to live in a neighborhood, not sandwiched between the busiest street in town and the freeway. I realize that I recently blogged about entitlement and being satisfied with what one has. Let me clear this up: I don't feel entitled to a house. But I really really want one. The catch: we don't have money saved up for a house (thanks student teaching!), so if we were to move we'd still have to rent. And after weeks of daily internet searches and endless driving around neighborhoods, we've found nothing but crappy apartments and "cute cottages" (code for tiny back houses). Our lease is up March 31, and we're supposed to tell them by this Sunday whether or not we're going to re-sign. Ugh.

2. I have mixed feelings about the current season of American Idol. I like Kara DioGuardi; I think she's a great addition. I like most of the final 13 (side note: 13?!? what?!?). I am amused, however, by all the new "rules" this week. I feel like the producers are a bunch of kids on the playground making up rules to their game as they go along; like it's handball or something. The new "Judges' Save" sounds a little bit like "no cherry-bombs" or "slicies."
3. This weekend we're going up to my hometown, Lake Arrowhead, for a little day-trip. We haven't really done anything since Ben was born, and we're getting a little antsy. I love my life, but, to be honest, I've been feeling a little confined by it. I work, I make dinner, I take care of my family, I grade papers, maybe read or watch some TV, and do it over and over again. On the weekends we take it easy, go to church, maybe walk around the mall, go out to dinner. Lather, rinse, repeat. I'm itching for a little more variety and, dare I say it, adventure. I realize Arrowhead is not a big adventure. But it's a start.
4. I finally finished the Twilight series. I didn't like the last book much. Which is probably for the best...I probably shouldn't have finished off an addiction to a really lame series of books with a good feeling. It's probably best that I'm not really sure it was worth my time. On the other hand, it did provide mindless entertainment, which is exactly what I needed at the time. Now I'm faced with the task of picking the next book. Give Rushdie another shot? Maybe read past the first 15 pages of Satanic Verses? Hmmm....The End.
1 comment:
I think we all were caught by the Twilight series... no, not because it is a wonderful piece of literature, or even a thrilling tale [like Harry Potter.] But because for a short while it allowed us to feel that teenage feeling of being in love. When it really is everything you ever wished would happen, the conflict gets wrapped up quickly, and it's basically because at the end of the day you had the power all along. You just needed a handsome man [or two] to woo it out of you. Girlish dreams much? So we were sucked in, and probably will never read any of it again.
Post a Comment