Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Spring 'Cation

My Spring Break has been, for the most part, magical. It has also been a bit dramatic and stressful. We kicked it off with two three-year-old birthday parties on Saturday, one at 9:30 and the other at 11:00. Did I mention it was something like 90 degrees? Sheesh. Party A was a pirate party at the beach. You could also call that Ben's Personal Heaven. At least until the donuts had been served and the digging-for-treasure activity was over and it turned out Ben was the only one who'd brought sand toys. That's when things got dicey. Things went from Heaven to Hades rather quickly. One minute he's lost in a little boy's fantasy world, digging up then reburying treasure over and over again, singing a song about treasure, the next he's bawling his head off because kids keep coming up and making off with his shovels and buckets and treasure. Time for Party B. This one was a Strawberry Shortcake party, complete with a bounce house and pinata. Peace was restored; it was sweet and fun.









The unfortunate outcome of these two parties, in addition to the one we went to last weekend, is that Ben talks every single day about his birthday party. Thing is, we weren't going to do one. We were just going to invite a couple of friends to the beach for a play date and call it a day because my 8 1/2 month pregnant self is not going to want to plan, execute, and pay for a party that may or may not happen on account of going into labor (or just being so dang pregnant). But now he totally knows that when you have a birthday you have a party, and he's got his all planned out. According to him, it will be Buzz Lightyear themed with cake and a bounce house (which, he says, he's not going to let anyone go in...probably because at last weekend's party he got the crap bounced out of him by a big bully kid with apparently no parents). He talks about it every day. He also sings "Happy Birthday" to himself every day. Narcissistic much?

After Partypalooza he took a nap, and then we dropped him off at Nana and Paca's for his first ever over-nighter away from home! They've spent the weekend with him before when Matt and I went away, but always at our house. This was his first time spending the night over there. He had a blast. They played in the sand, watched movies, and generally had a wonderful time. As did Mommy and Daddy doing nothing. That's right, folks. We went on a little dinner date, then sat around in our pajamas for the rest of our evening watching TV and staying up as late as we wanted, then slept in (kind of--let's be honest, our internal clocks are pretty much set at this point...boooooo), then sat around in our pj's watching TV, reading, and napping for the better part of the day. We went to Ikea and took our time browsing. It was beautiful. Sure, I missed my Mini Muffin. But seriously, watching Teen Mom in the morning instead of Backyardigans? Heaven.

Sunday afternoon my mom dropped the B off just in time for us to load up the car and head south to La Jolla for our last vacation as a family of three! Ben was running around shouting about our "'cation," and I took a video of it (don't ask me to post it--I did it on the camera that has 12,653 videos and I don't feel like dealing with that). After I turned off the camera, Ben said, "that was a good 'cation picture." It was indeed, buddy.

We had a lovely three days, full of rest, action, adventure, and drama. The highlights:

--When we got there Ben had a def-con five melt-down because it was "scary." We're talking hysterical. Because when you think La Jolla, you think "terrifying," right? Seriously, kid. Drama. It honestly took a solid 30-45 minutes to get him to calm down.

--The pool was just his size. At its most shallow point, it was a mere two feet deep. Ben was beside himself. He could run and splash all he wanted. Heck, we were beside ourselves. We didn't have to hold him the entire time; he could just run and "swim" to his little heart's content. Of course, it was only 65 degrees outside, so we were freezing. But what the hay, you're only on 'cation once.



--There was a little loveseat that pulled out to a perfect twin-size bed for B. It was seriously way too easy to put that kid to bed. He curled up in it, we read a couple books, prayed and sang, and he was asleep in minutes. We could turn the lights on and read and talk and watch TV and he just slept. Holy 'Cation Miracle, Batman. It was awesome.


--It sprinkled Sunday night, and when we went back to our room after breakfast Monday morning Matt slipped and hit his tailbone and head on the staircase. #Fail, Sheraton.

--Monday morning we went to the aquarium and the beach. Once again, Ben Heaven. But the weather was nasty and they were doing construction at the beach. So for my money, Newport still wins. But Ben could have cared less.











--On the (short) drive back to the hotel, Ben fell asleep. And continued to eat his snack. Chewing and all, while asleep. True story.


--When we got back from the aquarium and the beach at 11:30, Ben was super sleepy (it was probably from waking up at 5:30). I laid down in bed with him and he slept for over two hours. Mom and Dad Heaven. I was pretty sure that we'd be pretty busy and he'd refuse to nap with us in the room with him. No way. The kid was pooped. He laid down and seriously did not move for over two hours. But he farted a lot. Loudly. Without even twitching. Until the last one, which was so loud Matt and I were stifling our laughter, but not very well, because we woke him up. Oops.

--For half of the day, Ben was going on and on with "I want to go to a playground that I like." We never found one. So we went to the pool instead.

--We discovered a Sprinkles cupcakes next door. Because of Ben's oddly early and long nap, we had lunch at 2:00 (whatever) and picked out some cupcakes. I've still got my chocolate and marshmallow one waiting for me. Also, I'm drooling all over myself right now.


--Yesterday we went to the zoo, one of Ben's favorite places on the planet. We had a great time. Favorite Proud Parent moment? While checking out the rhino, Ben says, "Mommy! I can see his penis!" Over and over and over. You're welcome, San Diego population.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Things started to get dicey again mid-day. Without getting into the details, essentially Miss Emma tried to make an early appearance. After several hours of contractions, vomiting, and a decent amount of pain, I was able to stop the pre-term labor train with a lot of water and rest and prayer. For the moment I'm feeling okay...tired, but okay. My mid-wife's orders are to take it easy for now, and if it happens again to go to the hospital. Please pray that my Emma-bug stays put, and that I stay calm.

Today Ben and I have been lounging around the house, doing some light cleaning, and playing. It's been really nice. I'm starting to get that familiar ache...the one where I wish I could do this all the time. Not laundry and attempt to stave off labor--but be at home with my little(s). Sigh.

2 comments:

"Grammy" Sue B said...

Thank you taking me on 'cation with you! Really! Your narratives always carry me right along. However I kinda missed Ben's meltdown and the rhino penis.
On a more serious note....BE CAREFUL and GET REST so Emma can grow big and strong!
Please give a big Auntie Sue (((HUG))) to my incredible greatnephew! And xoxoxo for you, Emma, and of course Matt!
LOVE Y'ALL*!*!*!

Israel Food Outreach said...

Dynamite . . what else can I say!