Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Real New Year

Because I spent the transition between 2009 and 2010 fighting what was honestly the worst week ever (and, to be honest, went to bed at 10:30 on New Year's Eve...hey, the kid was sleeping for once...you can't pass that up), I sort of skipped the whole It's-a-New-Year-So-I'm-Going-to-Make-Some-Goals-and-Become-a-Better-Person thing. I bypassed the hopeful-for-a-fresh-start aisle and headed straight down this-year-really-sucks area.

Well, Benjamin is slowly but surely coming around, and the added five days of my "vacation" is giving me some time to take a deep breath and collect myself before I head back into the hormonal cesspool that is middle school. So now is as good a time as any to do all of the aforementioned obligatory New Year what-nots.

This year I'm taking a new-ish approach to "resolutions." Well, to be fair, I change it up every year. So this year I'm going to try some scaffolding, one step at a time. One week at a time, then one day at a time...you get the idea. The goals:


highlight the things for which I am grateful
spend more time with God
spend more quality time with my husband
spend more quality time with my son
spend more time with my friends and family
give more of myself to others
be present with my students and enjoy them more
learn new things
visit new places and experience new activities
go on more adventures
read at least 50 books (one year I had a goal of reading 100 books, and I read 108. I didn't have a kid)


So there it is. 11 steps to a new and improved me.

No comments: