Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Four Christmases Part 3: Christmas Weekend in Orangevale

Christmas morning we woke up at 6:00 (apparently Ben is already starting a routine of waking up early on Christmas morning). We opened presents by the fireplace with Ben. He could have cared less about the presents, but he was really into the wrapping paper. He found it quite tasty.


We then got ready and went to Matt's mom, Bev's, for breakfast. We spent the day at her house in Orangevale. It was a great day! People slowly trickled in. Present opening was a frenzied affair. Ben continued his practice of a couple 30-minute catnaps and a lot of fussing. All in all, though, he did quite well. There were probably 15-20 people there, and so there was a lot of commotion. It was a bustle of energy (what a great Dickensian sentence, right?). We enjoyed a delicious meal of turkey, mashed potatoes, and lasagna, topped off with a dessert of banana cream pie (which happens to be my most favorite dessert of all time).


Jon, Ben, Fynley, and Beckie


The boys playing with Sean's present.


Matt rocking out on Fynley's High School Musical dance mat

The boys opening their gifts. Sean just can't get enough of Ben's head.

Ben and his Grammy

After dessert and a little bit of chatting, Matt, Ben, and I went back to Paul and Amy's. We got Ben down at his normal bedtime after his normal bedtime routine, which we all appreciated. Then Matt and I watched movies and relaxed, snuggled up in the fantastic new blanket Matt's mom got us, snacking on some of her homemade cookies, apples, and caramel dip.

On Friday we stayed at "home" for the morning, which was nice since we'd been constantly moving since our arrival. Then we had lunch with Matt's dad, Bob, and sister, Megan, then headed over to Matt's Grandpa Fred and Boots's in Fulsom. It was nice to catch up with them, and they loved meeting their new great grandson. I like to see Grandpa Fred because he used to be a musician, and he always has such great stories.


Ben at Applebee's

After Grandpa Fred's we went to dinner with Bev and his stepdad, Carl, Megan, and his brother, Jon, and Jon's girlfriend, Rachel. Friday night Matt and I enjoyed another evening of movies, warmth, and snacks.


Rachel and Ben

Saturday we spent the day with everyone. We went to Bev and Carl's for breakfast. Carl is Japanese, and he makes these fantastic fried hot dogs and fried rice. I seriously would go up there just for that breakfast. I've tried making the hot dogs before, but I just can't do it like Carl can. We had a leisurely morning with them, then we went up to Cool to visit Paul, Amy, and the kids. After playing with his cousin Sean for a while, Ben FINALLY took a good nap. He slept for an hour and a half while we visited with the adults. I love my boy, but it was really nice to be able to talk and hang out without holding and watching a fussy baby, who loves to practice his new skill of sitting up, but still tips over on occasion. Another great thing about this visit was just being at their house. The backyard is incredible. The guy who used to own it created this virtual paradise behind his house, with a waterfall, gorgeous landscaping, an outdoor fireplace, and a hidden patio.

Ben and his Aunt Megan


Ben and Sean

After the trip to Cool, we returned to the Roseville area and went to dinner with Bev, Carl, Megan, Jon, Rachel, and Matt's other sister Beckie and her daughter Fynley. Afterwards we went back to Bev and Carl's to spend some more time together and say our goodbyes. Then we went "home," cleaned, packed, and squeezed in a little more relaxation.

Usually when we visit Matt's family we stay with his mom, which is nice because we get to spend plenty of time with her. It was really good, though, to stay at Paul and Amy's this time. For one, they have an 11-month-old, so they have a crib, high chair, and all the baby things we could need. Also, having our own space where we could enjoy some quiet alone time was especially helpful. As I've mentioned, I'm an introvert. I recharge by being alone; staying with people during vacations can be stressful for me, as I never really get that time to unwind. It was also really good for Ben. Our days were so busy that he needed the quiet time and place to unwind and feel at least a little bit of normalcy. He's very sensitive to change and stimulation, and all of the activity, however fun, is a lot for him to take in. So even if we were in a different house, it was good for him to have some alone time with mom and dad where he could feel safe and rested. Also, since naps were a big issue all weekend (with being on the go constantly, and with being surrounded by very energetic cousins), the times he was able to sleep in a quiet house in a comfy crib were much needed.

It was a really good weekend. We enjoyed a nice blend of relaxation and activity, had a great time with our family, and were blessed with great gifts and wonderful company. Ben was, of course, the star, and other than a few overtired, overstimulated periods, took the whole thing in like a champ. Our flight home went well. Ben slept through the entire flight, and we made it home on Sunday in time to get some rest and enjoy some time together, just the three of us, before venturing in to another week.

1 comment:

a.love said...

Your Christmas sounds like ours! Too many and too much and yet special and needed in ways! I have to say, I look forward to a future of selfishness and saying, "Sorry. We're staying home. You can come to us." I'm such a pansy. I'll never do it.