Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Amazing Love...

Lately I have been completely fascinated by my son. I seriously can't get enough of him--I could stare at him for hours. I remember being in the hospital when he was born and just laying there watching him sleep. And every now and then I sneak into his room at night and just look at his sweet, peaceful, perfect little face. My proclivity for observing this amazing little person is not limited to his sleeping hours. I just love to watch him. I'll lay with him on the floor and just stare as he explores his world with his eyes, hands, and mouth. I watch him stare at his hands and suck on his toes; I can see the concentration in his face as he looks at his foot, attempts to control it and his hands, and once he's finally grasped it, guide it to his tiny mouth. I watch him rub his eyes and sigh when he's tired. I love to listen to him babble on, and, when I really lucky, hear his sweet little giggle. He's nothing short of amazing.

And in my awe of this amazing little person, I'm led to an overwhelming awe of his and my creator. As I watch Ben explore and discover his fingers, toes, belly button--you name it--I see how new and fascinating it is to him. I mean, let's be honest. I can't remember the last time I was as fascinated and impressed with my own body as Ben is with his--I was probably four months old. But we really are extraordinary creatures.

I am daily falling deeper and deeper in love with this little man. I wait for his growth with both excitement and trepidation. I can't wait to hear his voice, his words, his thoughts; to see him really play and explore his world. But I am loath to lose the cuddles and the slobbery "kisses." Someday I won't be able to hold him in my arms. There will come a day when he'll start throwing tantrums, followed all to soon by adolescent angst. But until that day, I will savor every sweet and fascinating moment with my little man, and look forward to all of the joys that his growth will bring.

2 comments:

Steve, Karen, Delaney, & Jude Dunlap said...

sigh...what a nice little post! you should show this post to Ben someday when he's acting like a little poop! i can't wait to have one of my own and then Ben can have a little gal pal!

Israel Food Outreach said...

Well done, my darling Granddaughter! I do so remember those moments with your Mama and uncles, also remember same with your Mama and YOU! I love you . .