
So lately I have become intrigued by the startling lack of professionalism in the world of customer service. I don't know if it's because I'm all kinds of negative and cynical; or if it's because, as I have witnessed as a middle school teacher, there is a pervasive apathy creeping through the country. Or it could be because I live in the Land of Entitlement (also known as "The OC"). But I have become saddened by this thing I have become privy to.
Yesterday I went to Starbucks for a little treat (the new Banana Chocolate Vivanno thing--my new tasty weakness). I ordered my beverage and wheeled the stroller over to the pick-up counter. I don't like to stand really close to it, because it's nerve-wracking to the poor baristas when people are staring at them while they work. But the store is pretty small, so while I wasn't in their faces I was still only maybe 5 or six feet away. One barista (a gentleman) picked up my labeled cup and let out an exasperated sigh. The ensuing conversation:
Barista 1: I HATE making these. They're such a pain in the ass.
2: Me too.
1: Will you do it?
2: Fine. But I hate these...they're such a pain.
Did they forget that they're in an open space with the customers standing right there? That just a few feet away is the person that ordered it? Are you kidding me?
I'm seriously the nicest customer. I've been there, and I know that there are a lot of rude, demanding people that come through. I say please and thank you, smile, and ask how they're doing. I try to be a bright spot in their day. And half the time I get ignored, and the other half I get gruff responses. I get that serving people can be difficult and can really try your patience. But does professionalism have to be saved for business men and women who wear suits and carry briefcases?
God has, of course, taken this opportunity to remind me of my own shortcomings in this area (isn't that just like him?). I know that when I worked at restaurants and at Starbucks that I was not always the consumate professional. So I want to take this time to apologize to you, to everyone, for those times that I did not treat my job or my customers with the utmost courtesy and respect. And I want to be better about being professional and respectful towards my students. I want to treat them as the children of God that they are.
God, please forgive me for my lack of professionalism, and please give me patience and grace when I encounter others.
2 comments:
I think you and I are privy to a lot of experiences like this. Remember the infamous Mimi's reverse dinner? Appetizers first!
my vote? write to starbucks and get a free drink certificate! yes, i guess it's a relative equivalent to suing someone but much less work. (i probably didn't get the right message out of the blog but i don't think we have short comings ;)
Post a Comment