Monday, August 13, 2012

That Time I Tried to Make and Sell Things

So I did it. I set up a little etsy.com shop with my cloth diapers and whatnot.


A few things you should know:

1. I know it's stupid, but this scares the noodles out of me. I have some ridiculous insecurity and fear-of-failure issues, so putting myself out there like this is almost as terrifying as parenting and teaching. But hey--we all have to face our demons sometime, right?
2. Thus far I have only made diapers for Little E (I wanted to practice before I committed), so the only photos I have are of little girl ones. But I have oodles of boy and neutral prints and colors. So if you have a little boy and you want him to have at least one cloth diaper, I will make it. If you let me take pictures of him wearing it and post them, I will love you a little bit extra. Also--if I made your baby a hat, do you have a picture of him or her wearing it? For some lame-o reason I didn't really take any pics of Emma in her newborn hats, and I need a picture of a squishy baby in a hat in order to sell them.
3. There are more things I will be adding, like more cloth wipes prints, receiving blankets, knit hats, etc. Whatever I feel like making. If you have seen something I have made and you like it, let me know and maybe it will compel me to sell it.
4. I'm doing this because a) it's a little bit fun; b) Emma has a closet full of handmade items, so I feel like I really shouldn't make her anymore for a while, otherwise my husband will kill me; c) I need money. There, I said it.
5. Don't ask me to sell my knitting. Except for the hats, it takes too long for it to be worth it. I do this after the kids are in bed while I watch TV, so most of my knit items take a billion years to finish. But hats I can whip up quickly.
6. If you are my friend and you cloth diaper, you are obligated under Friend Code 4325 to buy at least one. Just kidding. Kind of. I promise they actually work as diapers! I've been using them on heavy rotation with Emma for a while (again, wanted to make sure they were decent before I committed), and the only time they leaked was during one nap when she seriously peed so much I was concerned about her health.




Okay, that's enough narcissistic self-promotion for one day. Later I'll post about real life.

1 comment:

"Grammy" Sue B said...

When I'm old and in a nursing home, can you make me some pretty diaper coverups? (I am SERIOUSLY kidding!!!!!!!!!!)
Emma is such a cute model!
You could make some boy print diapers and put on Emma but just show her booty.
I love you, Shannon. You are AWESOME!!! Really!!!!!
xoxoxox....Auntie Sue