Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Aliens, the North Pole, and Submarines

This weekend we went to a 1st birthday party. A couple of our friends were really excited to spend time with Ben because they wanted to hear him say all his funny things. Unfortunately, they didn't get much because his zingers usually happen when you're having a casual conversation with him. At a party he's too distracted playing. But our friends said if I ever think I post too many of Ben's witicisms, I am wrong. There can never be too many. But today...today was special. Too much for one status update. So here we have as much of our afternoon conversations that I could store in my head through the drive home.

When I went into B's classroom, the kids were on the carpet and the teacher was writing on the board their ideas about what they know about space. Upon seeing me come in...

Ben: I can't go yet because I have to say what's in space.
Me: Okay, well raise your hand and tell your teacher so we can go.
Teacher: Ben, what do you know about space?
Ben: Ummmmmm.............aliens.

As we walked outside and saw the backpacks, I noted that one of them was Caillou (Ben's current favorite show).

Ben: That's Sage's backpack. But not Shane. Shane already went home. He lives in the North Pole. Like Santa.

In the car...

Ben (singing): Row row row your boat, gently down the stream. Merry merry merry I'm a submarine.

and just randomly...

"You're just Mommy, not Shannon. And Daddy's not Matt, because he just needs to be Daddy."


Speaking of Daddy, we were talking about hair recently.

Me: What kind of hair does Dylan have?
B: Twisty hair.
Me: Do you have twisty hair?
B: No. I have straight hair.
Me: What kind of hair do I have?
B: Brown hair.
Me: What about Daddy?
B: Ummm.....Daddy needs some more hair.


Other recent one-liners...

"Do you have a move theater in your classroom?"

(referring to one of his ties, which he found under his bed) "This is the tie I used to wear to work."

"When you grow up and get bigger and bigger you turn into a robot."

(after accidentally popping his balloon) "I'll never be happy again."


There you have it, folks. The world according to Ben.

2 comments:

"Grammy" Sue B said...

Dear Ben,
You are so smart! When I see you next time, can you please teach me some of the things you are learning by being three-years-old?
Love, Auntie Sue

Israel Food Outreach said...

Well, Ben, you may just be right about all this stuff! I think you are brilliant; brilliant is better than smart, Ben. It's smarter than smart. I love you, greatGrandson of mine! hugs . . GranNana