Yesterday was interesting, to say the least. We went to Disneyland in the morning. We only stayed for two hours because it was getting crowded. We spent the rest of our morning/early afternoon baking cookies, watching Cars and re-enacting it with cars, and eating lunch and cookies. At the usual nap time we put the cars to sleep and read a few books. And then it began. Screaming. Wailing. Gnashing of teeth. For an hour. This is not typical. Anyone who has ever babysat my angel child has seriously marveled at the ease of putting him to bed. He's been expressing his undying love for the toddler bed at Pottery Barn Kids for a while, and we've been talking about what we want to do and how we want to make the switch. After 50 minutes of the tantrum I offered the option of pulling the mattress out of the crib and letting him sleep on it on the floor like a big boy. Too hysterical. I offered mom and dad's bed. Deal. So I curled up in our bed with him, and he was asleep in minutes.
When he woke up I asked him why he didn't want to take a nap. He said, "All done with the crib. I don't want it."
So I guess that's that, then.
We pulled out the screwdriver and took off the front panel of the crib (it converts to a toddler bed). Done. He was ecstatic. I had to drag him to dinner after 30 minutes.
I didn't know what to expect at bedtime. I mean, I did--I have a number of friends with kids Ben's age, and many of them have made the transition. Their experiences varied, but most had more or less the same pattern of break-outs and falls and early-morning rises.
It was Matt's night to put B to bed. It went seamlessly. He didn't make a peep after he climbed into his big boy bed. He didn't come out once. When we went to bed, he was sound asleep, and not even in a strange position. Well, he was completely covered with his blanket. But in the center of the bed, head on the pillow, body parallel to the sides.
I woke up at 5:30. I realized I had heard no thuds, there was no crying, and he was not asleep on the floor at the foot of our bed. Was it really that easy?
At 7:20 Matt said he thought he heard sounds coming from his room. We poked our heads in. He sat up, smiled, and said hi. From his big boy bed. Where he slept all night.
Now, the matter of the basket of dinosaur toys next to his bed...
No comments:
Post a Comment