I made it. I survived week one.
Thursday was good. On Wednesday night I packed up the car. I put a note next to the door of the few things I needed to grab on the way out. Thursday morning I put those few remaining things in the car, then went back for the kids. Much better (side note: I can’t WAIT to move downstairs). Ben had slept in our bed again, so he got up at 5:30 when we did. But he watched some TV and was just fine. Emma slept in, and I had to wake her to feed her and get her ready. That was good. We were out the door at 7:10, fed, clothed, and (relatively) happy. I got to work on time. Still missed that morning pump—one of these days I’ll manage to squeeze that in. My students were taking tests and working all day, so I was able to get boat loads of work done. Planning, cleaning, organizing, labeling—my little Nerd Heaven. Introduced my kids to Sigur Ros—always a pleasure. Early out day, English meeting, out the door by 3:00, kids picked up by 3:30, home by 3:45.
Yesterday was Matt’s birthday. I felt so bad, because birthdays are big deals in our house, and this crazy week has made it difficult to make the day special. Four sick Millers plus work equals challenge. But I think I pulled it off. My man is the bestest, and he deserves nothing less. During one of Emma’s middle of the night feedings I wrote him a note on the mirror and left out a card so he could wake up and feel loved. Ben colored a card for him and gave it to him when he got home from work. We couldn’t take Ben to our friends’ because he was sick, and Nana’s out of town. So we had to modify the birthday date a little. So we dropped Emma off at our friends’, and the three of us went to Benihana’s for dinner and Sprinkles for dessert. We had a great time. Ben’s favorite part was the onion volcano, and Matt’s favorite part was being with us. My favorite part was all of it.
So I made it through Week One. A little battered and kind of limping to the finish line, but I made it. My reward is a Friday off with the two mini loves of my life to just relax and enjoy, then a weekend with our family of four before Matt is off to San Francisco for a week for work. Thinking about that one sort of gives me hives, so I’m going to skip it and end with this…
I can do this. I will do this.
It is well with my soul.
1 comment:
I didn't realize until I finished reading your post that I was holding my breath the whole time. Ahhh....deep breath....YOU DID IT!!! Allelujia and AMEN!!!
Post a Comment