Saturday, November 19, 2011

Adventures in Single Parenting

This week Matt was in San Francisco for work, so it was just me and the kiddos. So obviously Ben was on antibiotics for a double ear infection and Emma had a horrible cold. Of course I had to take my second sick day a mere four days after starting back at work.

All whining aside, it actually wasn’t bad at all. Emma is doing what normal humans do when they are sick—sleeping it off. All week long she’s been sleeping most of the day. I wish someone would send that memo to Ben, because when he gets sick he sleeps much less instead of much more. Boo. Anyway, my mom helped me out a bit, and the week went by relatively quickly and painlessly. The one exception was the night Emma woke up every 30-60 minutes to cry. Lame.

I should note that as the week progressed I was going to bed earlier each night. Thursday I went to bed at 9:00—and I was pushing it. Last night Matt made his triumphant return around 9:30pm. At 4am we awoke to the sound of puke hitting the floor. Yesterday Ben took his last dose of antibiotics, so naturally it was important that he come down with the stomach flu less than 24 hours later. Puking, fever, the works. Because who wants to go a full day without being sick? Sissies, that’s who. And Ben is not a sissy. Clearly he still has no immune system. So I guess we’ll see you in April.

Right now Matt is with a work friend doing a birthday thing. Other than this few hours of parenting, I’m clocking out for the weekend.

I’m officially on Thanksgiving Break for nine days. Glory to God in the highest. Now if only my family could be healthy for just one holiday ever, I could maybe enjoy it. But I will say this: we’ve been watching a lot of movies, and I’m enjoying the rest. Besides holding a puke bucket occasionally, I don’t have to do much. I certainly don’t have to cook. Silver lining.

We get on a plane Tuesday to go up north. I told that to Ben yesterday, and he launched a def-con five freak-out. Apparently he has developed a fear of flying. I see a lot more Cars 2 in my future.

I ordered some yarn online for a few projects. It took a week of me looking at every type of yarn and about twenty-two changes in my cart before I committed. I’m so excited to get it. Knitting nerd.

That is all.

IMG_6797

sick baby. heartbreaking.

1114111609

She was sleeping so soundly and I didn’t want to wake her, but we had to pick B up. So I loaded her up all swaddled and cozy.

1113110940

He likes to dress himself.

No comments: