Saturday, September 24, 2011

Rapunzel vs. The Transformers

It's happened--my baby is a little BOY. I knew this day would come, but I was hoping I could delay it just a little.

Today at the bookstore, when it came time to pick a book, do you know what Ben wanted? It wasn't Clifford. Or Berenstein Bears. Or Little Critter. Or Curious George. It was Ironman. He has no idea who Ironman is, but he knows it has "bad guys" and "looks cool." When I said no, he picked Thor. When I said no to that, he picked Transformers. I was losing. Big time. I perused Transformers and decided that of all the choices, it was the least violent and inappropriate for a three-year-old. Then Matt saw a Halloween Backyardigans book. Ben was in. I was saved. For now.

Ben has a little cold, so we're having a movie night. We made hot chocolate, put on our jammies, and turned on Tangled, which we've never seen. Ben loves Pixar movies, and we've caught bits and pieces of this one at the doctor's office, and it was on Netflix instant. Two minutes in, Ben turns to me with the most piteous and terrified look I have ever seen. With a quivering chin, he sobbed, "can we watch Madagascar?" I asked what was the matter, and he sobbed that this movie was scary.

And he thinks he's ready for Transformers?

No comments: