So I went into labor yesterday. It was a long day, and I don't really feel up to the task of relating the whole adventure. But here's the skinny.
I was having contractions all day (side note: I actually forgot how painful those suckers can get...who knew?), and they weren't letting up despite going through the "How to make your pre-term labor stop" routine...twice. So after B's nap we dropped him off at the neighbor's, hastily threw together a bag (a step we never got to when my first Early Bird came three years ago), and headed to L&D. After six hours of monitoring, an IV, and head scratching, they gave me the option of going home or staying overnight for observation. I opted to go home. I'm essentially still in labor--still having contractions every five minutes or so. This could go on for a day, or it could go on for a couple of weeks. As Ben would say, "We not know."
So now I'm on modified bedrest, which means I can get up and walk around on occasion, run an errand if I'm feeling up to it, that sort of thing. But for the most part I'm to be resting. Which means relying on others to cook, clean, take care of and entertain Ben, that sort of thing. Which means me feeling immeasurable amounts of guilt and sadness that I'm a burden. Or maybe I could cut myself some slack and enjoy the break. My only job is to try to keep Emma in for as long as possible.
For the moment, I'm alright. It's a long weekend, which means Matt's here and I don't have to worry about anything for at least a couple more days. Emma's doing great in there, and all things considered I'm doing quite well. In a decent amount of pain, but healthy. If she came today, she'd be okay. I have a lot to be thankful for. But still...I could do without the drama. And lying on a couch in 90 degree weather with no air conditioning for 4th of July. But still...it could be much worse.
So now we just wait.
1 comment:
NO A/C????? That's a crime in SoCa, isn't it? I pray you can cut yourself some slack and enjoy the break. I would bring you a sack of yarn if I was there.
Love you, Mommy!
xoxoxox.....Auntie Sue
Post a Comment