For starters, I can't believe I have a three-year-old. Holy Grown-up, Batman. How did I get here?
Enough about me. Let's talk about my little Chicken McNugget.
He is amazing. I don't even know how to describe him. I think I do all the time, so who needs another gushing manifesto? Right now, my favorite things:
1. When he uses his fingers for things--counting, telling everyone how old he is, telling me how many minutes he should get to play before bed, listing things...it's rad. It takes him a good amount of concentration and effort to "make" the number of fingers he needs in order to make his point, which is even better.
2. Along these lines, he does this thing where he talks about his ideas. He'll raise his pointer finger and say, "I have an idea!" Then he lists the steps to his idea, each represented by a finger and followed by a check. For example, he might say, "I have an idea! Let's do this. (holds up a finger) Eat lunch, check! (holds up another finger) Play with toys, Check! (holds up a finger) Be a dinosaur, check!" I wish I had a video of this, but alas alack he refuses to perform when the camera comes out. Some day.
3. His adult language. And I don't mean swearing. He's got a ridiculous vocabulary and extraordinary grammar. And certain phrases he's clearly gotten from Matt or I (probably mostly the latter). For example, I will say, "Benjamin, you need to pick up your toys." He will then say, "No, you need to listen to me! I can't right now because I don't want to." I have no idea where the sass comes from. I do know that when it comes out I sometimes have a hard time suppressing my laughter and teaching him better ways of communicating.
4. His personality. All of it--even the fierce independence and sass (although sometimes I could do without that...except he comes by it honestly, and I'm sure I had it coming to me). He's so different from me in a lot of ways, though, which I like. He's very outgoing and fearless. He'll have a dance party in the middle of the mall because he likes the song that's playing. He'll say things like, "check out my sweet moves," then do pelvic thrusts and run in place while wildly swinging his arms. He's a Super Boy, and loves to smash trucks and play in the dirt and all those boy things. But he's also very loving, compassionate, and nurturing.
5. His imagination. The kid could play pretend all day, all night. He makes up stories with his toys, creates costumes out of nothing (which is his only option, since apparently boys don't play dress-up, which is the only reason I can think for why it's nigh on impossible to find boys' costume-y things anywhere, and I probably won't become a seamstress and make them myself any time soon), and comes up with elaborate action sequences.
6. His sense of humor. He's so freaking funny. And the best part is that when he says something funny he follows it with, "that was pretty funny."
I could honestly go on forever. Why don't you just come over and play with him? It's a guaranteed good time.
Happy Happy Happy Birthday, Super B. I love you so very much, and I am looking forward to continuing to watch you grow. Thank you for blessing my life.
2 comments:
Dear Shannon ... Is it okay to laugh (or like) his "sass"? Okay, it's cute now, but it won't be when he is 12 and says "Listen to me Mom ... I don't want to." But "sassy" was something I was accused of when I was a kid, so blame me ... it's probably my fault. ;-)
Dear Ben ... Can I come over and play with you in a couple weeks?
Dear Emma ... I sure hope I can come over and hold you and kiss you in a couple weeks!!!!!
Dear Matt ... You too!
Love y'all ... Auntie Sue
Happy Birthday Benjamin!
I know it requires you to wait a few months, but I bet you could get some costumes on clearance after Halloween.
I've been checking everyday to see if you've given birth yet! 80) Love you and miss you!
Post a Comment