Saturday, June 4, 2011

Welcome, June

The Plague has settled upon our house once again. Only this time it's June, so it's nice and warm outside, which makes the fevers all the more fun and the couch jockey life all the more delicious. Maybe in opposite world. I spent Memorial Day Weekend in bed. Like the entire thing. Because nothing says Summer Kickoff like a marathon of sleeping and reading and coughing until you pee and puke (was that too much information? my bad). Then Monday afternoon Ben felt warm. Dang. Two more days at home on the couch. Normally I would be thrilled by the five-day weekend. But in this case, it was no good. Thursday he went back to daycare and I went back to work. Thursday evening B's fever reappeared and we were at Kaiser getting antibiotics for a secondary infection. But not before he coughed until he puked. Fortunately (I guess?) at that point it had been a few days since Ben had really eaten...he'd been refusing food because he coughed until he puked on Tuesday, so there wasn't much for him to throw up this second time around. Friday he fell asleep in the middle of the floor at daycare at 11:45am, then slept for two hours while everyone played around him. I guess when you don't eat for several days your body eventually puts out a Closed sign. This morning he woke up at 5:30 coughing and wheezing. Then I coughed until I peed and puked. So in about an hour we'll both be headed to Kaiser--him for albeuterol and me for antibiotics. Also, I'm hoping they can help me figure out how to get food in this kid's belly, because judging by his chicken legs and loose-fitting clothes I'm pretty sure that he's lost a couple of pounds. Poor Matthew. He's running a pathetic ship over here.


There have been some bonuses to our tenure in Sickville. I've gotten a LOT of sleep and read 1 1/2 books. Also, my insane pregnancy heartburn has been cutting me some slack, which has enabled me to actually eat, which has enabled me to gain my weekly pound. I am now officially over my pre-pregnancy weight by a whole pound. At 31 weeks. Go me. I won't tell you what I ate all day yesterday, though, that probably got me here. Also, I've memorized a handful of episodes of Backyardigans, and Ben has learned the alphabet from watching Leap Frog's Letter Factory a gazillion times. AND when we were at Kaiser the other night Ben got himself a couple of cute red-headed girlfriends and entertained the entire building with his overt flirting. This guy's going to be T-R-O-U-B-L-E in middle school.


So that's what we've been doing. In other news, 9 MORE DAYS. Yep. It's time. We're in the single digits.

1 comment:

"Grammy" Sue B said...

WOW...I'm so happy to be e-connected while I'm away from home!!! Now I can get my (almost daily) doses of Ben and his Family while I'm enjoying 10 days at your Uncle John's house. I'm insisting on several individual one-on-one "dates" while we're here, so today Malina and I went to the carwash and also to get ice cream. I might be fat(ter) when I get home but I'll sure be happy! We may be coming to Calif in August so hopefully I can get doses of Cali-family there too!!!! That means....Ben and his mommy need to get all better. I wanna hear that little boy tell me his ABC's.
Love, Auntie Sue