1. The new Bon Iver album. Matt's got a streamed version or whatever. I'm in love with it. I want to make out with it. I want to frolic through fields of daisies while it plays in the background. Friggin' amazing.
2. My new fancy pants camera. One time when I was in middle school I took a picture of some cool clouds in the sky. Hooked for life. I love photography. My brother is the family photographer, and I in no way plan to usurp that. But I have had a deep and passionate inner love affair with being on the viewfinder end of a camera, and I've long suppressed it in favor of other (read: cheaper) hobbies. But enough of that crap. I can't really act anymore (something about dependents), and I haven't the time or energy to do real writing, and my pathetic apartment in an unnamed "low socioeconomic" city precludes the possession of a piano. Then I ended up with the most photogenic child ever born. Alas, alack, his face begs to be on the lens end of a camera. So I've been saving and saving and saving. With Matt's trip to Kansas and a big pile of overtime, I was able to accumulate enough money to buy a real camera, one that I spent hours upon hours researching to find. Only I grew up in a frugal home; not a cheap one, mind you--just one where money was not spent on non-essentials. Then there was the matter of me putting myself through college, then living as a sub to put myself through grad school...I'm not good at spending money. I'm good at budgets and allowances and shopping sales, but not so good at discretionary money. So I've been sitting on this money, which I intentionally saved over time for this exact purpose, completely unable to push the button and buy the dang thing. But then I did it--I bought my camera. And I'm in love. Like I want to run through fields of daisies with Bon Iver playing in the background while I take delicious shots of the sky, a haystack, and my absurdly gorgeous children. It arrived while I was in the hospital--like it was my prize. Since I had to spend the next 24 hours peeing in a jug, there was some delayed gratification. But we did sneak away to the farm to take it for a spin during the Hall and Oates period. Then we took it to Disneyland for Father's Day. I am in no way a pro, and I will never be. But I'm not too shabby for a novice, if I may say so myself. Of course, it helps that I live in one of the most beautiful places in the country, and I have one of the most adorable subjects ever. But still--I'm going to take a little slice of credit.
3. My new fancy pants yarn. My knitting skills are pathetic for how long I've been at it, but I don't really care. I enjoy it. My mom has a friend that I've known only from afar my whole life (she lives in another state). She reads this silly little blog, and she wanted to bless me. So she got me some incredible yarn from her incredible daughter who owns an incredible yarn site. So I have a pile of high quality yarn that I am allowing to sit and speak to me. This is not Two Buck Chuck--this is the real deal. So I can't begin until I find the perfect project. I want to make a good blanket for Miss Emma--I just need to wait for the pattern to come to me. Mmmmm.....the Bon Iver song playing right now is helping....
4. New Adventures. Once this potty training business is done, we're hitting the road (but not for long, because I don't like driving). I've got a list of new destinations, and this camera is just begging for some work. I could pee I'm so excited. Part of that could be the cabin fever. Part of it could be the Bon Iver. Part of it could be the M&Ms I've been snacking on (it's MY reward for Ben going potty). But at any rate, it'll be fun. Until, of course, Miss Emma comes. Then my adventures will involve changing diapers, doing laundry, and nursing 27 hours a day. But I'm good with that. As long as she's cute. And if, like her brother, she has colic, do you know who will get me through it? Yep, you guessed it. Death Cab for Cutie (they have a new album out too...mmmmmm....).
5. Heathyr comes!!! My friend and sister for life, Heathyr, who abandoned me and moved to Kansas, is coming out for a visit. Next week!!!! I think I just peed a little.
But first, potty training, day three.
Hold me, Bon Iver.
2 comments:
Dear Shannon,
I love your blog, and I love you SO MUCH. But I must admit I am a tad confused this time.
"...my pathetic apartment in an unnamed low socioeconomic city..." doesn't match up with "...I live in one of the most beautiful places in the country..." But one day, my dear, you will live forever in paradise....with your favorite Auntie very nearby! I can hardly wait! Until then, I always look forward to your words (ie picture-stories) and your fancy-pants pictures of your beautiful babe(s).
Love you to the moon and back....Auntie Sue
You are a great writer miss Shannon Cobb Miller! This is a great blog! Hope your summer is wonderful. Looking fwd to all those pics. :)
Post a Comment