Sunday, October 25, 2009

Pumpkins

So last year we found out fairly late in October that apparently when you have kids you're supposed to take them to pumpkin patches and take cute fall pictures. I never did this as a kid, so I didn't know I was supposed to do it as a parent. I just noticed that there seemed to be a proliferation of pumpkin patch pictures popping up on facebook (how's that for alliteration?). Since we hadn't gotten the memo, we were not able to drag our three month old to a pumpkin patch and take pictures of him laying on pumpkins. So we grabbed a green blanket, borrowed our neighbors' pumpkin, and took "pumpkin patch" cheater pictures in our living room. Out of this blatant disregard for parenting rules came the cutest picture of our child ever.

But this year we had no excuses. So when I saw the pictures start popping up on facebook again, I knew it was time. So I googled "pumpkin patch orange county" (cause that's how I roll) and came up with a farm in Irvine. You heard me--a farm in Irvine. Because when you think Irvine, you think farm. At any rate, off we went. Bonus: it was a chilly day so we were able to put Benjamin in some cute fall clothes. Two days later the clouds rolled away and we've been living on the surface of the sun ever since.


Just for good measure, we went back to the pumpkin farm the following weekend with the Gibbses. Yep--we had to make up for last year's inexcusable negligence. Ben was grumpy for most of the time (of course he was...I had my new birthday camera and I wanted to take great pictures...so of course he refused to smile), and Adalee had missed her nap, so she was grumpy as well. So we abused our crabby children for about an hour.


We took pumpkin pictures, of course. But there were a few other activities to do as well. There were rows and rows of pumpkins. Ben rolled down one of the little ditches as he traversed aforementioned rows. There was also a baby hay bale maze, which Ben took very seriously and conquered with determination, concentration, and speed. There was also a barbecue and petting zoo. We all know how Ben feels about animals and food.

Jesse and Brandi took Adalee home so she could sleep, and we went to the barbecue and petting zoo (cause that's how we roll).


Despite the grouchy babies, I did catch a few smiles. Although Matt set my camera to wide angle and I didn't know how to set it back. So we have several wide shots. But the cute child is still there, so ha.


2 comments:

Shannon V. said...

So cute! I wonder how much the therapy will cost for the missed trip to the P patch when he was 3 months? We can start a fund to help pay for it if you would like.

Israel Food Outreach said...

And . . the cute child is ever and ever so cute - still! And wow, probably always will be. Love the red hair, Matt. Great piece, Shannon, loved it as always. AND . . the pix are terrific. Thanks for sharing as you do; keeps us all together, kinda anyway. lv u, and see you all soon.