Because our property manager seemed to think she could wait until the day the house was ready to let us know our move-in date, and because the week before last was out of control, we didn't have the opportunity to even start packing until last Monday. That probably wouldn't have been a problem if I didn't own 4,349,434,093 books. But I do, so packing them is a pain, and there's always a chance that in the process Matt will leave me for someone with a less heavy hobby. Happily, he did not. And we did manage, with every spare every second we had, to pack most of our belongings before
On Saturday my beloved friend Brandi, who, if you ask me, should be canonized, graciously took Ben for most of the day while we, two 30-year-olds with colds, a 50-year-old with a disc in her neck (or something along those lines) and a 50-year-old with emphysema, took on the books. My wonderful friend Shelli came and helped for a couple of hours, but otherwise it was four people who really had no business hauling furniture and 234,721,628,590 pounds of books up and down staircases. I should also mention that I wore my running shoes, which are a full size too small because my big, fat, pregnant feet never went back to their old size and I keep forgetting to buy new ones. By the end of the day Ben was whining because his parents had been walking back and forth in front of him (Brandi lives next door to our new place) but not playing with him. All eight of our knees were hurting so badly we were ready to be fit for replacements. My cold had gone from a 2 to a 10. And we were maybe half-way done. At 7:30ish we threw in the towel (figuratively--in reality most of the towels were either wrapped around dishes or nowhere to be found). Speaking of nowhere to be found, also on that list: shampoo, soap, and the like; a bathtub stopper; and the coffee pot. We had the coffee maker--but not the pot. The cherry on Saturday Cake: as Matt and I curled up on our couch, completely spent and aching all over, recently washed with Brandi's shampoo and soap (did I mention the saint-hood thing?), the unmistakable thumping of bass resounded in the walls. The neighbor had picked that moment, 9:30 at night, to crank up the Metallica. Matt went next door, knocked (a few times), and politely asked the single 42-year-old if he could please turn his music down, as we had a one-year-old who was having trouble sleeping. The man said "sure," closed his door, and turned the music up. A little peeved and way too exhausted to ask "WWJD?" I calmly went next door and knocked. After a few tries, the man opened his door, shined a flashlight in my face, and screamed "DUDE! GO AWAY!" then promptly slammed the door.
Welcome to the neighborhood.
Sunday began with, of course, no coffee. Matt went to the old apartment to get a head start while I watched the boy and tried to unpack. Oh, and did I mention the boy woke up at 5:50am? Oh yes. So he was all kinds of helpful as I tried to unpack.
After a few hours of prying the broom, power cords, screwdrivers, DVDs, packing tape, and dishes out of Christopher Columbus's sticky fingers, I put him down for his nap and got a few things done while the cable guy
Yesterday, Monday, the work week began anew. Ben celebrated by waking up at 6:15. Fortunately I found a pair of dress shoes, which was good since until then all I had was my way-too-small running shoes. My cold kicked my ass so hard I seriously almost passed out during 4th period. The room started spinning, and I calmly sat down and told my students to work on their paper. In the evening we ran some errands and bought a new desk (ours fell apart during the move). Matt put it together while I put the kitchen together (but not the coffee pot--that was still M.I.A.). I did, however, find one pair of flip-flops. Afterwords we went to Brandi and Jesse's and had dessert and adult beverages while we chatted and enjoyed some baby-free, box-free time.
This morning Ben finally slept in. Sadly, however, Matthew took his propensity for leaving things like my keys in random places to the extent I've always feared. Apparently he moved them and forgot about it, and so I spent a good 30 minutes tearing the house apart looking for them so I could go to work. I found them behind the computer, but not before Matt drove all the way home from his work in Irvine. Ben thought the whole thing was a hoot because he got extra play time ("Ben, please don't climb up the bookcase...give mommy the swiffer...No! Don't push that...button...sigh..."). The upside to today? Brandi got her first sub job at my school in the classroom right next door to mine. Super bonus. :)
And now Matt and Ben are spending some time together for the first time in several days while I waste my evening in front of the computer. Sigh.....free time at last. Now if I could just find the d$%& coffee pot...
No comments:
Post a Comment