Monday, October 26, 2009

True Story

I had a conversation with one of my students today; let's call him "Julio."

Me: Okay. Please open your journals. Your topic for today is (I read from a book of writing starters): "If you were going to be stranded on a deserted island for ten years and you could only bring one of each of the following, what would you bring: CD, movie, book, piece of clothing, food item, and miscellaneous."

Julio: Will there be a TV for me to watch my movie on?

Me: It's not real, Julio. It's just a creative way to ask what your favorites are.

Julio: I know, but will I need to bring my own TV?

Me: Um, no. There's one there. On your deserted island.

Julio: Okay, cool.

(5 minutes later)

Julio: Mrs. Miller?

Me: It's not real, Julio. It's just to get you thinking and writing.

Julio: I know. But I was just wondering; can I bring a boat to get off the island as my extra thing?

Me: Sure.

Julio: Sweet.

Me: But it's a magic boat that you can only start after you've had it for ten years.

Julio: Dangit. I guess I'll go back to my first idea: a PS3.

No comments: