Monday, July 27, 2009

Going Bananas

So for Benjamin's birthday party (more on that later) we went with a very loose monkey theme. And when I say very loose I mean it...we're talking a couple of monkey stuffed animals as decorations. I was trying to find other ways to represent the deep, meaningful, and superfluous theme. My friend, Sarahbeth, God love her, suggested bananas. I thought, wow, what a great idea! They're decorative and delicious! They can serve as thematic representation, hold down tablecloths and napkins, and people can eat them as part of their meal. Genius.

Well, we had a few people fewer than we expected, and I think maybe two people (one being Ben) ate a banana. So here I am with a couple dozen bananas. Despite the fact that my profound knowledge of Economics and the concept of "sunk costs," I can't waste these bananas. I paid for them, there are children starving all over the world, and here they are. So the Millers are feasting on bananas this week. Today's menu:


Breakfast: whole grain organic waffles spread thinly with creamy peanut butter and topped with banana slices

snack: yogurt with bananas

lunch: Peanut butter and banana sandwiches

snack: bananas

dinner: not bananas (let's take a break)

dessert: banana smoothies


There it is folks. If you would like a banana and live in the greater Orange County metro area, please stop by.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Throw them in the freezer! The skin turns brown and they are mushy when defrosted, but Matt doesn't mind a bit.

Shannon V. said...

Um, I love banana bread. If you happen to be whipping some up, I am happy to eat it.

"Grammy" Sue B said...

You didn't mention BANANA BREAD, and I have Grandma Cobb's famous yummy recipe. "Erin" said to freeze them with skins, but it's okay to peel them and just freeze the 'nana. Let me know if you want your Grandma's recipe and I'll email to you.
Love ya...Auntie Sue
P.S...Uncle Millard likes to mash a banana with some creamy peanut butter and spread on toast, or graham crackers. Mmmmmmm.

Israel Food Outreach said...

Hey, I ate a banana at Ben's b'day party!! Yay!! But all those ideas are very good! I've had some of your Grandma Cobb's 'nana bread . . Sue's right, it's really good stuff. It was a great party, Ben, and I loved that your Mama did the monkey 'n banana thing . .