Sunday, July 26, 2009

Catching Up

We started this blog as a way to keep our friends and family who are near and far informed of our lives. It's been a while since I've posted about the goings on in the Miller home, on account of our busyness and the fact that I had upwards of 24 episodes of ER on the DVR that I needed to watch. Plus there's the ever present black hole. I took a study break this last week, and now I'm refreshed and ready to tackle the next beast. Okay, maybe not so much refreshed and ready as compelled by the calendar; but still...study I must. Before I plunge back into the abyss, I thought I'd take a moment to reflect on the lovely times our family has shared over the past few weeks.

Ben and I hit the beach with my bestie Erin one beautiful afternoon.

We've hit the pool a number of times (the perk of apartment living that I fully exploit and dwell on to keep my sanity almost daily)


We go to the park once or twice a week. There are a couple of parks we like nearby, and so we frequent them both for lunch picnics and playtime. Ben has a mortal fear of grass, so mostly we hang out on the blanket or play on the playground equipment. His feelings about swings vary almost daily, so that keeps things spicy and exciting.


I still, like a crazy masochist who can't get enough torture, take Ben to the beach by myself once a week or so. I have said to myself every year for the 11 years that I've lived here that I really should take more advantage of the beach. After all, I pay massive piles of money for crappy apartments just for the privilege of living near the beach. Now that I'm not working for the summer, I swore to myself I would not spend my rent check in vain, come hell or tide water. So to the beach I go, armed with a blanket, umbrella, a 22 pound toddler, and all his crap. I should add, though, that we do have loads of fun (once we're on the sand). The Millers love the beach.


And, despite the sweltering indoor heat, we monkey around at home as well. The "air conditioner" has been turned on a lot more as of late.


For Ben's birthday I got him some finger paints. At first, while confused, he seemed to be marginally interested. Then not so much. But hey--if I've learned anything from my solo beach adventures it's been that repeated attempts at something challenging may (or may not) produce different outcomes. So we will try it again this week.


Then there's the matter of the monkey turning one. But that's a different post...

No comments: