Thursday, October 2, 2008

I pick purple


Disclaimer: I typically don't do politics. In his Farewell Address, George Washington warned against the party system and foreign entanglements. Both of those, along with greed and financial irresponsibility, are tearing our nation apart right now. I think the two party system is irrational and counter-intuitive. How can millions of people fit neatly into two boxes? I also think the electoral college is redundant and superfluous. As a resident of California, my vote, at least in presidential elections, really doesn't matter. This state is the bluest of blues and probably always will be. That said, I am an avid voter. However broken the system, I have the privilege of living in a country that gives me a voice and a say in how my country is run and who runs it. I believe that if you are 18 years old and don't vote you forfeit your right to complain about the government. If you have an opinion, share it by voting. Even if you are a Republican in California. As for me--I do not adhere to a political party. Again--I think the system is lame; I therefore vote for people, not parties.

On to the rant.

Lately I have been bothered by Christians. I know, I am one. But seriously. It saddens me that somehow there developed this notion that if you are a Christian you have to be a Republican. Is it because the party is traditionally pro-life? Is it because it's conservative? Do these mandatory Republicans have opinions of their own? Do they research and review all of the information on the candidates and the issues? Or do they just blindly swallow and regurgitate whatever Dr. Dobson tells them?

If you are a Republican because you believe in what the party stands for, then you're in the right place. But if you're a Republican because there's a tacit understanding in the church that Democrats are immoral liberal sinners, then stop being lazy and think for yourself.

Footnote: This is atypical. I don't usually get into politics. But what the heck--why not?

1 comment:

Joshua said...

I agree, purple should be the new color. I don't support this new bailout plan. Who would, I didn't get help when I maxed out my first credit card for selfish gain. I could never really support a democrat though. Government should provide us protection from bad people in the form of strict disciplinary action, provide us with easy access to the places we need to go (roads and airports), and a stable currency. Why don't we print our own money?