Thursday, October 23, 2008

Book Update

So teacher week at Barnes and Noble has come and gone. This year I had plenty of birthday gift cards to spend and go hog wild with my 25% off. You know how sometimes when it's time to make dinner and nothing sounds good? You're kind of hungry and you know you should eat. There are even plenty of delicious options in your pantry and fridge, but nothing appeals to you? Well, that was my experience. I even have an Amazon wish list and a little notebook where I write down book titles that I come across and want to read, just for times like these. Nothing. I went to B&N three times last week, and all I ended up getting was Ghandi's autobiography. To be fair, I own thousands of books. I have three Ikea Flarkes (like Billy only cheaper and less sturdy) in my room filled with fiction (alphabetized by author and title...no judging). I have hundreds of Jesus books, plays, poetry, Shakespeare's entire oevre (four times over, no less), a dozen literature anthologies, an entire big Billy full of young adult lit, philosophy...you name it, I have it. So maybe I've finally reached a point where I have every book I would want to read. Or maybe not. Maybe I'm just in this weird funk where I'm not my usual literary devotee. As I've mentioned before, lately whenever I go to my personal library (and make no mistake--it is as complete as an actual library), nothing sounds good. I've got a half dozen half-read books lying around. Right now I'm even invoking all of the perserverence I can muster to finish a book I hate, just because I really feel like I need to commit.

Where's nerdy Shannon? I miss her. :(

No comments: