Sunday, February 3, 2013

Hot Mess

Remember that time I took a mental health day because I was sleep-deprived and a little crazy? Me too. It was last year, right? Oh wait...

Now I'm receiving my punishment.

Thursday night Ben was up for hours coughing. Blerg. Poor guy. Emma woke up with a couple of coughs here and there, but nothing like Ben. So I decided to stay home with him so he could get some rest. I wasn't sure about Emma because she didn't seem that sick, but she could probably benefit from a day off. On the other hand, it would be easier for Ben and I if she wasn't there. But our problem was solved when she slept in late and was stupid cranky, which is usually a sign she'll be getting sick soon. So I kept them both home. Both had a lot of energy, which meant I spent most of my hours either trying to ease their coughing fits or trying to get them to settle down so they wouldn't start coughing. They both barely napped because they woke up coughing. Earlier in the day I'd made an appointment for both in the evening. So after Matt got home we got some dinner then went to kaiser.

The moment we walked in Emma went down hard. She went from totally fine to scaring-the-crap-out of-me ill in minutes. She felt like she was on fire, she struggled to breathe, and her heart was pounding. All through the wait (which thankfully wasn't long), the nurse's station, and the exam room she progressively worsened. Her pulse was off the charts, and her temp had gone up three degrees IN MINUTES. Yikes. She eventually fell asleep in my arms and calmed a bit, and they gave her Tylenol  to get the fever down. It's a nasty virus. But we had a rough night. Both kids got breathing treatments before bed. Ben ended up sleeping great (finally!), but Emma had a nasty night fighting that fever, which stayed about 103 despite alternating Tylenol and Motrin all night. In the morning she woke up happy and acting great. All day she was just a slightly lower-energy version of her self. Somewhere around dinner time The Fever returned, hard, and higher at 104.8. We stripped her, we drugged her, we administered cool cloths. Alas, alack, last night was worse. It's down a little now, but steadfastly refusing to dip below 100.

This thing is mean.

But it hasn't all been bad. Ben is doing much better. He even played with the neighbor kids for a bit yesterday. I sewed a little during Emma's morning naps, and I got a lot of laundry done. There has been lots of cuddling, and I am happy to be able to stay home with them and take care of them.This morning Ben crawled into bed with us and wrapped his arms around his sister. Swoon. Now they're cuddled up on the couch watching Alice in Wonderland.

Coffee. Mama needs coffee.

1 comment:

Kathie said...

Praying hard for health and stamina and full recoveries. And buckets of coffee for mama.