I would just like to say in my defense that it has not yet been a full year since Christmas. So this post isn't too tardy. Also, my life is complete chaos, all the time. So...I think you should stop complaining and feel pretty lucky this blog still exists.
Our Christmas, if I remember correctly, was fairly lovely. Christmas Eve was a bit of a flurry of busyness. We spent the better part of the day with my dad and his side of the family. Well, we spent a decent chunk of time in the car, then we spent time with my family. It was probably the biggest Christmas gathering we've had in quite a while. I got to see many of my cousins from that side, which is rare. Normally it's just my brother and I. We have the littlest kids, by a long shot. But there was a little boy there who was I think five or six, so Ben had a little pal. And Miss Emma just got passed around.
Once the kids started melting down, we hopped back in the car and headed back to our corner of the world, straight to church, which was not the plan, but whatever. The service was lovely. I think we may have had dinner at some point, but I'm not sure. Then we drank hot chocolate and opened our Christmas jammies, a new tradition. Too bad it was so late and we rushed through everything so we could get our overtired little ones to bed. But I took a picture the next morning, so there you go.
Christmas morning we opened a veritable Mt. Everest of gifts. Matt's family mailed all the kiddos' presents down, so there was a lot of loot. Ben was gracious enough to help Emma open and play with all of her presents. What a giver. The rest of the morning was spent playing and cooking.
That evening my mom and her side of the family came over. It was small but nice. I decided to start a new tradition (kind of inspired by my sister-in-law--thanks Becki!). I had everyone write down their favorite part of the year and what they were most looking forward to in the next year, and at dinner we all shared. Then we went to town on the presents. I had a little theme for gifts this year (at least for this group) of gifts that give back. The ladies got jewelry from 31 Bits (except my mom, who got Toms because that's what she wanted, and it worked with my theme anyway), and the gentlemen got hats from Krochet Kids. I was busy cooking and child-wrangling, so my brother's girlfriend (Dare I say future sister-in-law? No pressure or anything, J, but seriously...please marry her. Or whatever, it's up to you.), who is a photographer, took pictures. I took some too, but we're mostly going to focus on hers. She also gave me a bunch of filters for my camera and taught me how to use them. Have I mentioned yet that I like her? But no pressure.
So that's Christmas. Or at least what I remember. The best part? No one was sick. No ERs, no Urgent Care. Suck it, holiday plagues.




1 comment:
You weren't "late" with your Christmas story. Most people have to wait until the busyness of the holiday passes before telling their story. That would be after the New Year. Since your story was still in January, that counts as "very timely". So there!
I love all the pictures! By the way, Ben's little friend at your Dad's is TANNER. He is Garrison's almost-step-son. (Maybe Garrison/Brenda and Jared/? can plan their weddings together? G/B are officially engaged, so I guess they have a head start.)
I love your new tradition ideas! The "Cobb Family" tradition consists of the LOOK box. Ask your Dad...he'll know.
Have a blessed day, my dear niece!
Love you to the moon and back....
Auntie Sue
Post a Comment