Sunday, January 8, 2012

A New Year

I don't have a lot of pictures of January so far. Not because I haven't taken many, but because I accidentally deleted them yesterday. Item #8745 on the list of "Strange Things That Shannon Has Done Lately." It's an extensive and eclectic list, including but not limited to: only shaving one leg and being confused because I was pretty sure I shaved both, putting the food processor together like a drunk person, and many other things, some of which I don't even remember. I'm trying to have a sense of humor about the whole thing. But on a more serious note, as it turns out, three fragmented hours of sleep a night for five and a half months will mess you up, and it can actually do some very real and not-so-funny damage to your mind and body. So Item #1 on my list of New Years Resolutions is to get help from the medical community.

But for now, instead of shame spiraling, I'm going to try to focus on the positive.

Let's spend a few moments talking about Matthew, Husband of the Year. His endless patience and nurturing have kept me from drowning, and I love him more every day. He has silently taken over dish duty, helped me de-tangle my yarn (I don't really know how to tell him that I've decided to scrap that project anyway...but either way, I will need to use the yarn on something, and I wouldn't be able to without his sacrifice), spent an enormous chunk of his precious freetime trying to find a way to recover my deleted pictures, and taken a lot of the nighttime Screaming Baby duty. Plus he's a smokin' hottie. I really scored, marriage-wise.


You'll be happy to know that Benjamin is slowly but surely recovering from the nightmare that was the final months of 2011. He is almost back to his wonderful self. The last day of this week I was able to just drop him off at preschool without him needing to be pryed off of me. He is willing to leave the house, and this morning he's even doing so without me, just him and Daddy. In light of where he was a month ago, that is huge. He still has some ugly bouts of general anxiety, sadness, and separation anxiety, but on the whole he is sleeping better and full of joy.

Miss Emma is a mixed bag. The nights are bad. Really bad. And she still hasn't put on an ounce of weight in the last few weeks. But there is positive...she's sitting up all on her own (an early sitter like her big brother). The last couple of days she has been eating a little bit of solids, so hopefully that will lead to some weight gain (and sleep?!?!?!).

And I haven't completely sucked. Once I re-acquainted myself with the food processor, I was able to whip up some baby food, should Emma decide she wants to eat. I've kept up with the laundry. And I read my Bible one day. So...winning.

Here's to a new, and hopefully better, year. Cheers.

2 comments:

Israel Food Outreach said...

I love your husband of the year, Shannon, and I told him so on Christmas! I love that he loves you no matter what, that he understands all the ups and downs a new Mommy goes through, (even tho' he really doesn't, he pretends to) and I'm super happy that you feel the way you do about HIM. If there was a family of the year that I knew about, I'd vote for y'all! You are fabulous in every way. I'm not really smooozin' up here, I really mean it . . ; ))

Israel Food Outreach said...

That is, I meant to say, "a family of the year contest" . . .