Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Last Supper

My entire life, my mom has been working on a cross stitch of The Last Supper. My entire life. Something about how she went into a craft store when I was in a stroller and somehow emerged, having never done cross stitch in her life, with the mother of all cross stitch projects. When I was little we used to joke about her finishing it by my high school graduation. Then my college graduation. Now maybe Ben's. Or never.

I started this blanket last year for Ben's 2nd birthday. I'd made a trapezoidal blanket for him; like my first scarf technically it was awful, but the heart that went into it was golden (my mom got that first scarf--also a trapezoid--moms love your messed up crafts). But I wanted to make him a real blanket that was legitimately awesome. And I'd found this incredible yarn, and I had to make something amazing with it. For Ben's 2nd birthday. The yarn turned out to be insanely difficult to knit with, and I'd made up my own pattern using an insanely complicated stitch with multiple colors. It became my Last Supper. And it was starting to look like it would follow roughly the same timeline.

I finished it last night. Ben'll be 3 in two months. I don't know that I've ever been more proud of an accomplishment, maybe including the 25 hours I spent giving birth to him. Maybe.



It's a freaking work of art, if you ask me. And it's totally a rectangle, not a trapezoid.

2 comments:

"Grammy" Sue B said...

Ben's blanket is AWESOME and BEAUTIFUL.
And I remember the Last Supper cross-stitch. I think your mom and I both were in the crafty mode back in those olden days. I finished my life-long project a few years ago. It was a cross-stitch of a three-story plus attic doll house. It is VERY PROUDLY framed and hanging in our guest bedroom.
I can hardly wait for your next blog....about Ben's glued forehead.
xoxox....Auntie Sue

Israel Food Outreach said...

It's a beautiful banket! And so, so soft. So, guess you'll not be doing them for adults, huh . . oh well, that's the way it is. I love you, Honey . .