Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Hometown Tourists: Alice's Breakfast in the Park, Huntington Central Park

Hey. I'm back. I'd ask if you missed me, but my guess is no because a) you have a life; b) Ben is a great writer (although upon reading his posts I noticed a lot of grammar mistakes, which I'm not going to fix because I don't feel like it, and you can't judge him anyway because he's two and it's pretty remarkable that he typed anyway). But maybe you did miss me...I'm witty, talented, and quite good looking.

Anyway, it's time to cover our next Adventure: Alice's Breakfast in the Park, a restaurant seated on the lake in Huntington Central Park. Ben and I have been to the park before, but I've been really wanting to try the restaurant for quite some time. I had a roommate in college that worked there; she never actually said what it was called, I don't think, I just remember her mentioning it was in a park and that you could bring your dogs.

It's a beautiful setting. they have a great menu for people, and there's one for dogs, too! The food is reasonably priced, and the service is reasonable as well. We ended up sitting inside because there was no one sitting outside and I was too chicken to ask if we could sit out there. I was kicking myself later because as we were leaving some other people, who did have guts, asked, and they got to sit right out in the grass. It's cooler than a regular restaurant's outdoor seating because it's in the park--so you're right by the lake, on a picnic-style table, and there are no boundaries. So, had I not been a chicken, Ben could have run around and chased the ducks and played in the grass and thrown sticks into the lake while we were waiting for our food instead of climbing the chair and table and walls like they were a jungle gym. That would have been helpful. And please don't ask why he wasn't sitting in a high-chair or booster. He refuses. And since he wasn't hurting anyone (except for maybe my image, which, let's be honest, hasn't been in tip-top shape since my mom neglected to tell me in sixth grade that I was supposed to shave and the boys called me "Pits"), I put this one on the list of "battles I don't care to fight." Besides, it was kinda cute, and all the little old ladies in the restaurant (which was every person in there but us) and our server were kinda in love with him. I got the egg breakfast with biscuits and gravy (I'm a big fan) and Ben got pancakes, which he ordered himself, although he says "cancakes," which sounds a lot like cupcakes, which is what the server thought he was ordering. The food was pretty good, although the biscuit was pretty hard and not that great. But otherwise we really liked it.


After breakfast we roamed the park. We didn't make it far from the restaurant, though, because all Ben really wanted to do was hang out at the dock like 100 feet from the place and collect sticks. Whatever. He was happy. And crazy adorable.


The Journey: Well, it's pretty deep into Huntington, so while we're just seconds away from the city, it's a pretty long drive for us, especially since no freeways really go there. But the park is awesome, so it's worth it for the occasional treat.

The Price: Meals range from $7-$9, so it's pretty reasonably priced. You can find the menu here. Note: they only take cash.

The Highlights: They have what is apparently an extraordinary bakery (according to themselves). However, the only baked item I had, the biscuit, wasn't very good. I'm hoping the cinnamon roles, etc. are much better. For me, though, the highlight is the park.

The Downsides: My lack of social skills, which inhibited us from sitting outside. And that biscuit. I was pretty disappointed, if you can't tell.

Note: I overheard a conversation the server was having with another patron. It sounds like the restaurant is actually closing inside of a month. So if you want to try it, you gotta do it soon.

1 comment:

Israel Food Outreach said...

You are both very good writers, albeit Ben is 2, but talented just like his Mama! You'er gorgeous, Girl! Ben is pretty good lookin' too, but . . oh well, he's a boy. Ok, gorgeous he is, but you're gorgeouser . Really good writing. Love your stuff. But you know that . .