So...remember Ben's monumental day? When he dove mouth-first into the marble end-table at Grammie's? Well.....
So...I started noticing the color change last week. I took him to the dentist on Monday. The tooth is dead; it was separated from its blood supply in the Great Fall. If it develops an infection, we have to get it taken out. Which means the gorgeous face above will be toothless until he's about seven when his new teeth start to come in. If no infection develops, he'll just have a smile that makes people go, "what a cute..wait, was there something weird in his mouth? is his tooth grey? and crooked?" until it falls out, as baby teeth do.
I'm not even pretending to be okay with this. I'm devastated, actually. I know that it's completely vain and so very Orange County to care so much, but I'm really really upset that his perfectly photogenic angel smile is at all marred. A friend of mine who does photography is super excited to take pictures of Ben--who could probably be a model, let's be honest--and use them on her website. I'm pretty sure that a grey-toothed (or toothless) little toddler will not bring in a lot of business.
I mean really, could I get more shallow and crazy about this???
In other news...Ben's dental insurance doesn't kick in until Oct. 1. It cost me an unholy amount of money to take him in and get an x-ray. Fortunately, we had it (not that this is how I wanted to spend it, but whatever). Also fortunately, as horrible as it looks, there's nothing we can do about it for a while. We just have to wait and see. So we shouldn't have any problems until the insurance kicks in.
So here's how we're praying, folks...
-that there's no infection and the Grey Goose can stay put until it falls out on its own when it's supposed to
-that I can get over myself and care about things that matter, not stupid baby teeth
-that anything that ends up needing to happen does so after Oct. 1
Sigh. Little Boys.


1 comment:
I totally understand how upsetting this is, Shannon. When our youngest daughter was little she had a similar accident - four of her baby teeth "disappeared" in a fall - you can read about it here:
http://www.justjulieb.com/ofteethandtemerity/
It was so traumatic! I mourned what every picture would look like until Sara's permanent teeth came in. Her Kindergarten photo was pathetic to me then, endearing to me now. I will pray that you will be comforted.
You are right - Ben could model - and he is still a beautiful boy.
Post a Comment