Sunday, September 13, 2009

Brandon and Alex Vedder's Wedding

After the CSET, Matt and I ran off to the City of Angels for the wedding of our dear friends Brandon and Alex. If I needed any reminders of why I hate Los Angeles, last night did it for me. The wedding was lovely, and we are so happy for our friends. But LA: honestly?

I had to report to Cypress High School (read: 30 minute drive) at 1:30 for the 2:00 test. Now, there is a CSET testing site literally two blocks from our place. And the last two rounds I was able to do there; this time I was lazy and registered pretty late, and apparently Costa Mesa was full, so I had to go to Cypress. It wouldn't have been too big a deal if we didn't have a wedding in LA at 5:30. For the last couple of months we knew that both would be happening at the same time, but we didn't figure in me needing to take the test at a place that was an hour away, round trip. So all of my preparations for yesterday were focused on a) studying for the test, and b) timing the whole thing. So this last week we really had to work on the timing. My previous tests I finished by 3:30. So if I finished this one by 3:30, drove home in 30 minutes (providing there would be no traffic), and changed in 10 minutes, we could be out the door by 4:15 and be in LA by 5:15, just in time to make it to the ceremony. What were we missing? A babysitter. So Saturday morning I called my mom apologizing for the last minute and begging her to watch Ben so we could be grown-ups for a night. Thankfully she was free and said yes (I love you mommy!!!). Otherwise I would have been That Mom at the wedding, chasing her toddler down the aisle as he points at the bride saying "Wha da?" and tries to eat the flowers then throw the remains at the aunt wearing an inappropriate dress.

Fortunately I finished my test at 3:10, then went to get my cell phone back from the front desk, where I asked a deaf woman what test she took and sheepishly signed "I'm sorry" (because that's all I know apart from milk, drink, eat, more, diaper change, etc.), and walked the ten miles to my car, all kinds of sweaty but happy. Then, because I'm an idiot when driving in unfamiliar places, I got on the wrong freeway going the wrong direction. I made it home by 3:50, when my mom got here early, and I changed into a super cute dress, strappy heals (let's remember: there's a reason why I don't wear them often), and a light, 3/4 sleeve sweater (because the dress alone would have been super inappropriate).

When we got to the wedding we realized that it was in downtown LA, which, not unlike New York, has wall to wall buildings and no parking. We realized that we didn't have cash (who ever does anymore?), drove around in circles looking for an ATM machine, and finally embarrassingly asked the attendant at the parking garage if we could please park our car, find an ATM, and then pay him. He was super nice and let us. So then we ascended the 15 or so floors to the loft of an old building, which was decorated all swanky, and then we sat down all sweaty and tried to figure out if the bar was open or cash without being d-bags and asking. While the room was gorgeous, it was also hot. Which meant I desperately wanted to take off my sweater, but I didn't want to look like the slutty girl in the front wearing the strappy dress whose hem was up to her buttcheeks. So I sat through the wedding all sweaty.



But it was a wonderful wedding. Our good friend Tim officiated with the 24 hour civil license he obtained, and he did a GREAT job. Alex was stunning, and Brandon was glowing. I didn't get very many good pictures of the ceremony because there was a window behind them and the lighting was all funky. But it was beautiful.



























































After the ceremony we got toasty with our friends thanks to the open bar. The food was delicious, the company was too, and the whole event was rather wonderful. We are so excited for Brandon and Alex and this great beginning to a beautiful life together. I would also like to thank them again for the open bar.

And to the prostitute on the corner as we were leaving: there is a better life out there for you, and I hope you find God, who will lead you to it.