Saturday, September 5, 2009

Big Update Post

The Miller house has been abuzz with goings-on. Rather than post several witty posts about each of them, in the name of efficiency, efficacy, and economics (as in I have to study it so I don't have much time), I will open several windows to our lives here so you are apprised of our daily joys and woes. Also, it's still freakishly hot here, so open windows are a must.

1. Our God-forsaken apartment. (By the by, that's not blasphemy because I'm not taking the Lord's name in vain. I honestly believe he has forsaken this complex.) At any rate, it looks like things are falling into place for us to get that place in our friends' neighborhood. Please pray that the timing works out (as it appears it will), and that we actually get approved to live there. We really like it. It's not perfect, to be sure...we are still renting. BUT it's the best that we can do right now, and it's a great happy medium. We gave our notice a few days ago...so our biggest need is timing--that the place opens up by the end of the month. Otherwise we will have a homeless transition.

2. School. So far, in the two days that I've spent with them, it looks like I have a great batch of boogers this year. I love my schedule, my students seem pretty good, and I'm already in a pretty good rhythm, which should impress you. Ben LOVES it at Molly's. He gets to play with two two-year-olds and better toys. He gets to hang out in a big house with a front and back yard complete with slide, grass, and kiddie pool. Molly is crazy about him (well, sure), and he gets along great with the other two kids. AND on Fridays Ben still gets to stay home with his Nana, which is great for all of us. Molly has been so kind and helpful in this transition, which has really been good for me. She's also putting labels on folders for my class so I can spend my precious home time with Ben instead of doing busy work, and that doesn't hurt either. :) THANK YOU to all of you, as well...I have had so much encouragement from my friends and family. Thank you for helping me feel like I'm not crazy or all alone, and thank you for helping me through this rough first week. I'm feeling hopeful.

3. My last CSET is next Saturday. This week has not only been rough because of the daycare/work thing, but on top of it I've been reading four chapters a day of economics, government, and California history. I feel like I'm going to lose my mind for lack of down time. I keep telling myself that I'm almost done, and sometimes it helps. While you're praying for the house thing, please also pray that I don't totally lose it, that I make it to Saturday, and that I pass so I can be done with all of this.

4. Ben. He's the cutest, funniest kid I've ever known. He's getting so good at walking, and at pushing himself up to standing without furniture. He basically just wanders around all day, often with his bucket from the San Diego Zoo (which reminds me I never posted those pictures...I will try to do that today). He also points and says "Wha Da?" (what's that?) ALL DAY LONG. He can also tell you what a dog and a monkey say. Apparently they say the same thing.


Lastly, if you recall, to get myself through the end of the school year I made a list of the things I was looking forward to. Now, to get myself through these brutal first few weeks, I shall make a similar list.

1. Our friends Steve, Karen, and Delaney are coming to visit this Monday!!!! We're through the roof excited about this.
2. MOVING
3. Camping with my dad and brother later this month. I LOVE camping, but I haven't been in a while. So I'm looking forward to that. I'm also really looking forward to spending time with my baby brother and my daddy, which I don't get to do very often.
4. My birthday. I'm not looking forward to the whole turning 30 thing, but I love being loved all day long. And all those Barnes and Noble gift cards. I can smell the books already...
5. Thanksgiving. Family. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, and a roll. And pumpkin pie. And not working. Mmmmmm.......
6. Christmas. See Thanksgiving.
7. Fall. I love fall. I love the temperature, long-sleeved shirts, and cloudy days.

2 comments:

Steve, Karen, Delaney, & Jude Dunlap said...

We can't wait to visit also. I'm sure we'll talk at great lengths about the subject of being teacher mommies this weekend, but man is it hard!!! I'm going to need every ounce of encouragement that you can muster as well.

heathyr said...

thank you for continuing your blog and keeping us all updated! I am praying that your move works out as well. And I'm so proud of what you are doing Shannon. It's not easy and taking those CSETS are a major pain. Good luck with everything and give Ben a kiss from me! If all goes well, I'll be able to come visit you in March!