Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Simple Pleasures

I've been pretty whiny lately, so I thought maybe I'd try to think positive. In the midst of my impending potential job loss, sickness, and this winter heat, I'm choosing to turn my gaze and reflect on the big and little ways that God blesses me. So here are some things that bring me joy:

1. Benjamin Aidan Miller. He is 17 1/2 pounds of pure wonderful. He is truly a bundle of joy. His smile melts my whole being, and I fill with radiant warmth when he reaches for me, nestles on my chest, grabs my face and sucks on my cheek with his "kisses," and squeals in delight when I come home from work. He daily teaches me what true love and joy are.

2. Books. This probably goes without saying for me. But I would be remiss if I did not include the past-time that makes my heart keep beating.

3. Music. It has especially helped that four of my favorite bands have released albums in the last year-ish (Death Cab for Cutie, Coldplay, Snow Patrol, and The Fray), all of which are, in my opinion, quite good. I have also recently discovered Ingrid Michelson, who is fantastic. I love music. I love to turn my car stereo on and rock out on my way to work, and I love to turn up the tunes in my classroom to get pumped for my day. A good song or two can be a good pick-me-up, or it can be very cathartic. Don't judge me, but sometimes I make video montages in my head while I listen. I also belt out the songs like I'm some kind of rock star. Please don't crush my dreams.

3. Matthew Donald Miller. We were made for each other. He makes me laugh. He makes me feel beautiful and lovely. I love making him laugh, and I love making him feel handsome and manly. He is my best friend, and I can't believe that I am so blessed to be married to him. He is truly my soul mate.

4. Rainy Days. I love to snuggle up in my jammies with a warm blanket, some hot chocolate, and a good movie with the windows wide open so I can smell that sweet scent. Mmmmm.....


5. Bath time. Mine, not Ben's (although that's fun too). Complete with aromatherapy bubble bath and sugar scrub from Bath and Body Works...so relaxing.

7. Television. Now, I'm not a big TV person. But I do have a few TV shows that I really like [The Office, Grey's Anatomy, Scrubs, Lost, 30 Rock (the best least-seen show ever)]. Cuddling up on the couch with my hubby and watching these shows makes me happy.

8. My students. Teaching middle school is definitely a double-edged sword. I often both love and despise my kids, sometimes all at the same time. But with all of the things that drive me crazy come many funny moments. They make me laugh, and I learn from them every day.

9. Pictures. I love looking at photographs, both old and new, and remembering. True, I have a lot of very painful memories. But I have far more joyful and beautiful ones. (Besides, when we're talking about pictures, we're talking about happy memories. Not a lot of pictures of crying and death lying around. That would be morbid.)


10. My family and friends. I am truly blessed with incredible people in my life. I am nothing without them. And even though marriage and motherhood has necessarily distanced me from them in many ways, I continue to grow closer to them through time and experience. They make me laugh, allow me to cry, and generally make my life full and complete.

1 comment:

a.love said...

I'm in the mood for a little prayer. Sounds like you could use it :) (Can't we all!!)
Tonight I am praying for your peace, your courage to rely on his grace in the wait of a potential loss, and his fulfillment of promise amidst the unknown.
I feel the impression to remind you, "You are loved, Shannon Cobb Miller. I am with you"