Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Finding the New Normal

First, let me just get this off my chest. Warning: Maybe two or three people will care about this. But if you care about me, you care about what's important to me. So...you'd better be properly sad. Sometime during the course of our anniversary weekend trip I lost my little bag of knitting. Devastating. I was 3/4 of the way done with an adorable little sweater for Emma. That's several weeks' worth of work. And it was in a delicious and lovely yarn that is now discontinued. And it was on the set of needles that I need for about 5/6 of the things I knit, as well as another set of needles I frequently need. Unacceptable. I finally started working on another project, but it took me a while to pick one that didn't require the use of either of those needles (I didn't want to go and replace them just to find the bag the next day). Last night I hit a point where I needed my stitch holders, so I went to grab my little baggie of miscellaneous things. Guess where that little baggie is? Yeah. In the bag I lost. So now I need to replace two of my favorite and most needed needles, stitch holders, stitch markers, tapestry needles, a gauge, and counters. So like everything I need to knit. And I can't replace the yarn. Or the three weeks' work. Sigh. My life is so sad. Good thing our California tax refund FINALLY showed up, so I can go to Joann's with every coupon I can dig up to replace my knitting supplies and get back to work.

Onto other things.This weekend was lovely. I was feeling pretty ill, but it forced us to just stay at home all weekend, which was really good. We filled up the pools, had picnics, stayed in our jammies and watched movies...just what we all so desperately needed. Just to be together at home, resting. Sunday night I had book club. I missed the last one because I had a friend in need. So it's been several months. As an introvert, whenever I get that rare moment of free time I usually choose to be alone. I forgot how refreshing it is to occasionally sit down with friends, a good book, and good food. Thanks, girls. Now someone call or text or email and remind me what our next book is because I already forgot.


 Yesterday was Monday, which means we were back to reality. I expected it to be rough for Emma, and in the morning it was. Leg One of daycare was ugly (apparently--I just go off what the babysitter says). But after her morning nap she rallied, and she actually played and didn't cry for the rest of the day. She wasn't exactly the life of the party, but she wasn't screaming her head off. I even got a text that said the babysitter was happy. I'll take it. And on the way to pick her up, Ben said that the reason she cried so much was that she missed him. Sob. Probably, buddy.

In the evening the kids and I played outside while Matt had Matt Night. Ben was so full of his one-liners it was ridiculous. I could have drowned your facebook news feeds in them. Like when he said, "Sorry. I'm staying home tonight. I'm going to hang out. Because it's Ben Night." My mom came over to deliver the playhouse she, my step-dad, and my grandma bought Emma for her birthday. We set it up and the kids played. Ben had a really hard time not helping. He kept trying to jump in with his tools and help. He was moments away from a time-out. When I told him for the 9th time that he seriously needed to stop and follow directions, he said, "Ninjas never give up." I countered with, "Ninjas also listen to their moms and follow directions." Then he launched into a lengthy story about some ninjas who didn't listen to their sensei and they did what they wanted anyway. I asked him what happened, and he said nothing. Figures. Stupid ninjas. But Emma loved her playhouse. Really she just went in and out the door with the phone in her hand. Ben kept trying to ninja his way in through the window and up on the roof, despite repeated warnings. Because, you know, ninjas never give up.

Neither do moms, pal.

3 comments:

"Grammy" Sue B said...

I'm so sad that your knitting bag got lost. Isn't there a ninja out there somewhere who can find it?

And this Auntie is anxiously waiting for some pics of Emma's Estate (aka playhouse).

Love you BIG.....Auntie Sue

Israel Food Outreach said...

I LOVE you, Auntie Sue aka Grammy Sue! You are too cool . .

Israel Food Outreach said...

I LOVE you, Auntie Sue aka Grammy Sue! You are too cool . .