Sunday, September 5, 2010

Last Day Beach Day

What TO Do on the Last Day of Summer:

1. Something Fun
2. Something outside
3. Like the Beach
4. Suck the marrow out of those last few hours

What NOT to Do on the Last Day of Summer:

1. Pinch a nerve in your neck
2. Try to hit your To Do list anyway

Oops.

Alas, alack, I was in so much pain that day I was hard-pressed to enjoy any of it. We're talking more pain than labor. And lasting longer. Which is saying something when your labor was 25 hours long, four days if we're talking about when the contractions started.

At any rate, I was in loads of pain, but I did NOT want to spend my last day on the couch with a heating pad while Ben whined and terrorized the house because his invalid mother was about as fun as Gosford Park. I was determined to have fun, dang it. I would just sit on that beach and ignore the pain. What I did not account for was the driving. Without being able to turn my head. Oops. Or the fact that sitting sent waves of pain up my spine, standing took too much effort, and laying on sand is not comfortable. Oops. I also was not satisfied going to Newport, which is easy. No. It was the last day of summer, so I had to squeeze in some adventure. I was smart enough to not do something new, but I was not smart enough to realize that rock-climbing and walking up and down 120 steep stairs to and from Pirate's Cove was about as good an idea as Speed 2.

But Ben had a whole heap of fun. So we're going to chalk this one up to taking one for the team. Also, by looking at the pictures, it looks like a fun little beach outing.


When we got home, kinda early, I assumed my spot on the couch with a heating pad. Eventually I put Ben down for his nap. I tried to take a nap myself, but it hurt so bad I was in tears. Eventually I retreated to the couch and watched Teen Mom. I also made Matt come home a few minutes early, make dinner, and play with Ben while I alternated ice and heat.

I party hard.

Update: It still hurts. But it's more of a dull roar at this point. I'm thinking this will just be the "thorn in my flesh." Maybe there's actually a thorn in there. Oops.

No comments: