Thursday, August 27, 2009

Last week I discovered (in the Costa Mesa Parks and Recreation Bulletin) that there is a park across the street from our complex. Since I've been big on parks lately, I thought I'd check it out. Last week I tossed Ben in the stroller and gave it a go. According to Google maps (yes, I googled the park across the street), it was only .5 miles away. I was pretty excited that there was a park within walking distance. All I had to do was cross the street, turn right, cross another street, turn left, ba-da-bing, park. Oh, did I mention I live on the corner of a major five-lane street and a freeway on-ramp? So all I had to do was cross aforementioned five-lane street of death. It's constantly busy; so busy, in fact, that it often takes a good five minutes to be able to turn left out of the complex driveway so I can get to work. So to get to the park I could either dart across five lanes of speeding traffic or walk down to the crosswalk at the on-ramp. There weren't many cars, so I chose to dart. Safe? Maybe not. Legal? Probably not. Faster? Oh yes.

So I get across the speeding traffic (this is hyperbolic; I promise I did not run through traffic; I waited until there were no cars coming), go one block down a little side street, and cross another street, which, I realized when I got there, was another five-lane busy street. I could make the U and go to the signal, or I could dart. I darted. I got to the park in one piece in eight minutes, but hyperventilating in panic. I decided to go the long and legal way home. Which took me in a big circle and involved walking down the sidewalk on the freeway on-ramp. It also took 15 minutes.

So, to recap, my choices were: a) walk a straight line for eight minutes and dart across wide, potentially trafficky streets; or b) walk in a big circle for fifteen minutes and use the crosswalks on the freeway on- and off-ramps.

Because I'm a crazy masochist, I tried it again today. This time I decided to do the legal and (probably) safer route on the big circle. And as I was walking on the freeway on-ramp, dripping sweat because it was 90 degrees at 8:00 in the morning, as half of Orange County sat in their air-conditioned BMWs wondering what's up with the sweaty lady on the corner, I thought deeply about my life. I have a lot to be thankful for. I have the most incredible husband, the best kiddo a mama could ever ask for, a great job, amazing family and friends, and a roof over my head. We have two cars that (usually) work, and a refrigerator that keeps my water ice cold. So I feel really ungrateful for being so negative. While I have had, for the most part, an amazing summer, I'm a few days away from going back to work, and I'm feeling discouraged and overwhelmed. I have these moments of peace and contentment. I'll be sitting at the park with Ben watching him play and laugh, or I'll be curled up on the couch reading and sipping iced tea, thinking to myself, dang, I have a great life. And I feel all blessed and warm and grateful and I nearly burst into tears I'm so full. And in those moments I thank God for blessing me beyond my wildest dreams. And then there are other moments, when I'm sitting on the curb with my history book watching arrogant, selfish Orange County guy after guy walking past me while I wait for my tire to get changed, or I'm dripping sweat on a freeway on-ramp wondering when I'm going to catch a break. I hate where I live. Not necessarily the city, although sometimes I don't like that either, but I'm not super happy with our apartment. The letter we got yesterday saying they're turning off the electricity (read: fake air conditioner, fans, TV, etc.) all day tomorrow certainly didn't help. I'm tired of studying all the time. I don't want to be a working mom. A couple of my fellow teachers would tell me all last year that I would get used to it, and come the end of the summer I would be begging to get back to work and hand Ben off. But that's not where I'm at. And I'm tired of people telling me how I'm going to feel. Going to work and leaving Ben sucks; it just does. And it's not getting easier, it's getting worse. And now on top of drowning in sweat I've got tears streaming down my face because I don't want to leave him on Monday. I love my job. I love teaching, I love English, I love history. But my heart shatters every time I think about dropping Ben off. He starts daycare this time. I love the woman who's going to be watching him. She's going to love him and care for him, and I know he will like it there. But I still want it to be me. Only it can't be right now. If we ever want to get out of this hole and live in a place where Ben can run and play with spiders, and we can take walks to a park that's not on top of a freeway, I have to work. But leaving is starting to feel more and more like a dream that must be deferred until it festers and eventually explodes. Every time it looks like we may be in a position to make our exit, we find ourselves buried in car bills, or there's nowhere to go. We finally found a place we like, but we have no idea when the current tenants are moving out. It could still be months. And in the meantime I've got one more test, and work and...here I am again, feeling discouraged and overwhelmed. And I feel guilty for feeling that way, because I have so much to be thankful for. It's just that right now I feel like I can't see the way out, and it's getting harder to stay optimistic and hopeful.

Ben and I had a lovely morning at the park. It's pretty small, but the nice thing is that it's nestled in a little neighborhood and no one else seems to ever be there (because going twice has made me an expert). Ben played in the dirt and walked around like a little drunken sailor while I bathed in sweat and took pictures. Then he made his poop grunt and face, which was super because I left the diaper bag at home (I'm kind of afraid of it now). I loaded my stinky munchkin into the stroller and took the darting, daring short journey home.

I really do have a great life. I'm so blessed. Sometimes I just have a harder time remembering that.

1 comment:

Shannon V. said...

I love to read my friends blogs because it reminds me that I am human and feel all the things they feel. I am not alone. Yesterday after a hateful raging tantrum, I looked at Sean and said, "I am thankful for NOTHING except the fact that I don't live in a third world country." At that moment I meant every word. God of course (within hours) showed me differently. It's amazing how emotions and feelings can change from one minute to the next. Just know I understand how you feel. Maybe not about the kid thing, but about my dreams. You are amazing. People named Shannon are kinda rad.