Wednesday, July 18, 2012

It’s not you, it’s me.

So everyone’s mad and worried or whatever because I don’t write anymore. And it’s summer, so I should be posting all over the place because I’m not a work. But here’s the deal: mentally, I’m TOAST. Okay, if we’re being honest here (and why not? It’s the internet, so this is a safe place, right? Right?), I’m also physically toast. And spiritually toast. And…you get the point. This last year kicked my butt. It actually did a lot worse than that, but this is a family blog. But seriously. I don’t even know what to say about it all other than I’ve been turned inside out and run over by a thousand freight trains. And I guess it hasn’t been the last year so much as it’s been the last couple, probably starting when I got pregnant. So you’re going to have to forgive me. Because blogging has sounded a lot like work, and every time I get five seconds of freetime the last thing I feel like doing is being clever and funny and telling stories. I just want to lay on the couch in a half coma watching The Secret Life of the American Teenager. And I’m not even going to bother crossing that out and pretending I watch the History Channel or something. So I guess that’s my big confession. I watch ridiculous and cheesy TV shows. And I’m not even ashamed.

So I’ve been devoting myself to knitting and sewing because they take less thought. And speaking of less thought, as we speak I’m hanging out with Ben and his friend, who spent the night last night. This kid asks SO MANY QUESTIONS. Sheesh. Doesn’t he realize that explaining the nature of everything on this planet is not something I feel up to right now? Kids these days.
My neighbor just walked by and asked if my summer has been nice and relaxing so far. What a perfect segue into my next excuse for why I haven’t been writing. The answer is a big, hearty, absolutely  not. It has been crazy and busy and hectic. A lot of it has been fun. But busy. We’ve had a constant stream of visitors and birthdays and a billion other things. It’s been so wonderful seeing family and friends that I never get to see, spending time with people, playing, and doing fun things. But some days I sit and dream of having one day where I don’t need to be somewhere. That moment lasts about ten seconds, because I need to be somewhere. And in the midst of the busy flurry of activity, it has been a lot more emotionally demanding than I was anticipating as well. So I’m getting exhausted.

Anyway, I’m done complaining. Over the next several days (or months, or never) I will attempt to catch you up on all of our summer adventures. And maybe the spring ones, since I didn’t really tell you about those either. But I think this post is long enough already, so I’ll just throw in a few random pictures so that people will actually look at this post, and to tide you over until I can recharge my laptop battery.

IMG_4705
IMG_5252
IMG_5353IMG_5333 
IMG_5389
IMG_5731IMG_5670IMG_5533
IMG_5446
IMG_5523

No comments: